Author Topic: The Outer Worlds  (Read 90 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
The Outer Worlds
« on: October 23, 2020, 01:50:01 PM »
Available on Steam, finally. And on sale!

I picked up the game+soundtrack+expansion pass bundle, for just under $60. So far so good.

Character building is easy enough to understand. FaceGen isn't exactly an earth-shattering experience, but I was able to put together a good face I was happy with (for once). Combat, on Story mode, isn't difficult...but consider that I only have 1.3 hours on record thus far. Further play may inspire random acts of vulgarism. We shall see.
Fun Fact! The cheetah can run 75 miles per hour! Faster, if on fire!

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: The Outer Worlds
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 09:56:28 AM »
Well at least we're playing at the same time  :ok:

I've been playing on normal for about 5 hours. And I had some teeth cringing combat moments even with one companion (the first one provided to you). You definitely want to perform all the quests you can that are inside Edgewater or in the immediate vicinity because you need the progression to push further inland. And yes, that means delaying the main quest. Still, as I said I'm on normal... Pretty predictably the game is organized as "the further you go from the main settlement, the more potential fodder for every Joe or thing out there you become".

Of course that also mean the rewards and loot are more substantial... common RPG stuff.

So far I'm enjoying it, I find though that the UI and inventory management is so-so. More late 2000s than current days.

PS: also is it just me or is the theme music very similar to the one from the Tomorrowland movie?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 10:01:49 AM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 04:33:34 PM »
So I finally finished the game. It will be a while before the review but I wanted to submit an early thought.

- If you are among those people that have yet to play the game, know what you're going into. Because apparently for some reason, a lot of folks can't get rid of the association Obsidian/Fallout New Vegas and were thinking that this was going to be consequently a Fallout New Vegas in space (it's pretty amusing to see people trying to find a cowboy outfit for their spacer). If you go in there with that mindset let me tell you... you're not going to get it. And you'll end up disappointed. At best the game is a mix of Fallout and Borderlands with a bit of Mass Effect for the companions combat system. Point is if you go into the game without any misconception, chances are that you'll enjoy it more (yes Obsidian developed FNV but they also developed Pillars of Eternity, Neverwinter Nights 2 and Knights Of the Old Republic 2 and those games couldn't be further away from New Vegas).

However I won't blame gamers for the misconception. I'll blame whoever had the stupid idea for the commercial trailer which definitely did draw the wrong picture in the first place.

Which is not to say that the game doesn't have issues because, oh yes God, it has some. However if you just don't like the game because it's not FNV in space, wonder first whose fault it is.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 05:13:22 PM »
I kind of stalled on it for a while (I was distracted by imaginary shiny things), but I've picked it back up. Mostly. It's not like I've abandoned my busy lifestyle, or anything...I mean, SOMEONE has to sleep 18 hours a day around here, and if that someone has to be me, then by all that's holy, I'm gonna do my part. [everyone begins humming "America The Beautiful"] Because in these trying times we gotta--

ANYWAY, after getting over my disappointment at the idea of dragging a companion along -- it becomes bearable when you consider that the word "companion" is from the Old French word "compaignon," meaning "meat shield"[**] -- I began to explore more of my surroundings. I've also managed to pick up an ungodly amount of stupid food-n-drink items already...inventory filler, in other words. I guess you need to acquire a crapton of stat/health/ability boosters in a game, and they absolutely deliver in that department. ::)

[** I know. I KNOW. But it was funny.]

I've never understood why some people hold FNV in such exalted, mythical regard. Sure, it was a good game...but geez, people.

I have yet to find more to complain about, but I'm sure I'll find the motherlode of irritation soon enough.

As for the soundtrack: yes. Yes it is similar.  :ss-weird1
Fun Fact! The cheetah can run 75 miles per hour! Faster, if on fire!

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 07:55:41 AM »
from the Old French word "compaignon,"

Or the modern French "compagnon"  :lol: which can mean "companion", "sidekick", "partner", "boyfriend" ("compagne" for "girlfriend") and yes, in some cases "meat shield" because one always needs one  :purplelaugh:

In fact, the game can be played solo (there's even perks available to augment your character when you don't have any companion with you or never recruit anyone -- that includes reactivating SAM which is considered "recruiting").

Anyway, the combat may seem tough at the beginning (depending on the character level and the difficulty selected) but once you get to level 6-7 you can stay ahead of the curve for the rest of the game. When you play solo it's worth investing in stealth because beyond some point you kind of become a master of stealth and can move almost under the nose of your opponents without them noticing (it's weird, I mean, the stealth in this game is weird because it's all calculated based on your distance from the enemy and at high level the line of sight becomes almost irrelevant; even more, if you reach 150 in stealth and manage to one shot an opponent while in stealth, no enemy is alerted even if you use a non suppressed gun). At 150 you're practically undetectable.

Drink, food... all the crap, it's an annoyance at the beginning because you can't store anything on the ship (once restored and in orbit a bunch of containers aboard become available for storage). Until then you have to rely on storing stuff in the containers in the world (Parvatti's place has some usable ones).

I don't think that FNV is regarded as godly by that many people -- aside the hardcore fans -- but the general attraction just come from the fact that it was better than Fallout 3, the side quests in particular were more interesting.

Motherlode of irritation? One name comes to mind... Parvatti; but maybe that's just me.