Author Topic: Cyberpunk 2077  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Cyberpunk 2077
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2021, 12:46:41 PM »
A long post, I guess. Must be Monday. Never could get the hang of Mondays.

The 1.2 patch was finally released ~34gb. The list of changes is a novel. See for yourself.

Of particular interest to me right now:

Modding: Added a new "mod" folder for loading modded archives. The modded archives can be named in any way and go into the "mod" folder now. Having mod archives in the "patch" folder is no longer supported.

Except that they didn't actually add a folder, as far as I can tell. If you already have things in the patch folder, you just have to rename it from "patch" to "mod".

The vehicle handling slider is somewhat helpful in calming down the steering. More or less. I haven't had a lot of time to try it out yet, but also tweaking certain values in an .ini seems to help even more.

What people really seem to be jazzed about is that V sleeps normally now.

They further tweaked the cops and their response time, instant spawning issues, etc., but really...it's a band-aid. Cops are broken.

From what I've seen, things are a bit more...glitchier...than they were before. Minor league strange stuff, but still annoying. Things like my summoned behicle spawning under someone's car, or parts of the Mall disappearing. That sort of thing. I'm not going to jump on CDPR for that, because hey...bugfixing is like hanging wallpaper: for every bubble you manage to smooth out, two more pop up to replace it.

Anyway.

SO! I finally finished it. Which is a lot more than I can about a few games I've played of late (still gotta finish The Outer Worlds, btw). It was a long, gruelling road...sort of. I figured if I just went in on the MQ without worrying much about the side jobs, it would've been a pretty short game. It's the distractions along the way that pumps up the playtime.

What with the dozen or so false starts, the extended messing around in facegen just to see what I could do with it, and then finally playing the damned thing, it all came to a total of about 130 hours.

My biggest problem is that I was never sure exactly what I wanted my character to be: a muscle-y badass, or an armed-to-the-teeth asskicker, or a ninja, or a CYBER-ninja, or whatever else I could think of to deal with whatever the game was throwing at me next. It seemed that what they wanted me to do was to sneak my way through the game, but then they'd throw a bunch of hostiles into a small area and smirk at me.

I'm still bitter about needing to be a specific level before I could wear a certain pair of pants.

So considering the schizo nature of my playthrough (I couldn't even decide on a hairstyle!), I made the decision to let Johnny take over and team up with Rogue. That gave me what they called "The Sun" ending. It actually made the most sense to me at the time, even though my character was a corpo-rat.

But...overall, I liked the game. It still isn't my favorite subject, but it was good for a while. I would've still preferred, say, something like Steampunk 1897 to this, but I'll take what I can get at this point...

(Thinking about it: this may have been a better experience had the subject been...wait for it...vampires! Bloodlines 2077! Or maybe not. I should probably get some sleep instead.)

And I even sat through the credits. Every bit of them. My screensaver -- on a ten-minute timer -- kicked in three times. I thought they were going to run out of music. At one point I think I was seeing credits for other games entirely. Did I really need to know the name of every single person in the accounting department? Why not provide short biographies of each individual as well? It's not enough to know that Debbie brings fresh doughnuts every day, I want to know what drives her as a person...as a wife, a mother, a devotee of Nickelback...what makes Debbie tick? I want to know it all.

But I'm still not sure why I need to know the full voice cast of every localization. But bonus points to the voice actor for Shinobu Saburo Arasaka, who appeared in the credits of every language version of the game! A true polyglot, right? Well...considering that all of his lines were in Japanese regardless of the rest of the game's language, it dims the amazement, somewhat.

Fun Stuff: I bought a truck in...uh...where the 6th Street Gang whackos hang out. Yeah. There. Anyway, right after that I stopped to kill a bunch of guys in one neighborhood (some NCPD side-thing), and I got back in my truck and backed out of the driveway...thing is, it was dark and a freaked-out pedestrian had chosen to cower behind my truck. Squish.

I laughed and laughed and laughed. Good times.  :ok:

last time I check, coolie hats weren't at the top of the Japanese fashion

No kidding...I have no idea why they're in the game at all. If Kitsch embraced southeast Asian casual fashion in general, then maybe it could work. But I don't know. I guess the idea is that they're selling the things to the gullible clods who just don't know the difference; the shop lady, after I pointed out that her Japanese accent and jargon were fake, gleefully disclosed that they had sold all of the tabi that they had in stock to tourists. So there is that.

Btw, I did notice that they had a "Little China" section, but no real Chinatown to speak of. As disappointing as that may be, this is the perfect opportunity to approximate Kurt Russell's Jack Burton's face and go kick some Wing Kong ass in my ultimate quest to rescue Kim Cattrall Gracie Law from James Hong's David Lao Pan's clutches.

Ah...never mind.

Sadly, the game's "trench coats" (more like waist coats?) do indeed look like someone decided to make the best of their overstock of Hefty Cinch Saks. (I think Scott Adams, when commenting on one of his Dilbert strips, said that this type of fashion was referred to as the "engineer's raincoat" in places like Seattle.)

In the shots, I don't think I had the right version of the mod; the coat is still too shiny, but not as much as before. I found the right version and it's much better. If I remember, I'll...oh, hell's bells. Here is the mod, complete with screenshots. The main mod changes the Samurai jacket, while the optional mods change two others instead...but even so, it makes changes to the material properties of all of them, maybe? I don't know.

Of, sooo, you sided with Netwatch? Only way to get it. :purplelaugh: I don't blame you.

Yup. :ok: I say, never trust anyone involved in voodoo, even if it is just a scare tactic. (Except for the Voodoo Lady in Monkey Island.)

Words: I think the term "verlan" has been adopted by english-spewing linguists too, which I find comforting in a way.  I've never really given the concept much thought, but it is fascinating.

"Why call it 'severre'?"
"Um...you know, 'reverse'?"
[smacks forehead hard enough to break the skin] "Ohhhhhh. Right."

Thinking about it, I wonder if any of this derived from Pig Latin... (Never mind me. It's been a long week.)

Lessee...the 1st amendment lets you say what you want, the 14th makes sure no one can stop you from saying it, the 2nd lets you back up your rights with firepower. Or something like that. All I know is that you should just aim for the head, if you can find it.

Sign in the bar: "Fucking Hell on tap!"  :ok:

And now for some pictures. I'm very sorry.

Okay, now this car's probably my favorite...the General Lee Jen Rowley. The only problem is that the horn doesn't play Dixie. Damn.
Been in trouble with the law since the day I was born.

Just me and my new friend.
I'll admit, I was being mighty unneighborly with my assault rifle.

This is probably not the example I should be setting for #StopAsianHate.
I'm sorry I blew your leg off, Michiko.

I won the game. This was my wardrobe reward.

Through the magic of mods, the console, and excruciating boredom, I finally acquired a good look. Just in time to finish the game. :madatwall:
Not black enough.

This may be taking it too far...
You'd tell me if I had something on face, right? I feel like I have something on my face.

And that's it for now. Or, to translate: that's ENOUGH for now. :hammerhead:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 11:08:31 PM by Silver Sorrow »
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2021, 07:58:50 PM »
The alleged "music" in this game is mostly just noise pollution. My disposition isn't helped by the presence of hip-hop, which isn't music anyway.

I mean, it's not ALL bad, but most of it...well, I wouldn't call it bad, just...bland and/or uninteresting. An irritation. A hostile affront to musical taste, if you will. Beelzebub's 40-inch barbed pecker of hate wrecking your tender earholes and raping your brain, your sensibilities, your very existence.

Enh...took that one a little farther than I had intended. But not too far off the mark if your ears are ringing like a bastard due to allergies. :ss-shootme

I had other stuff to babble about, but uh...after that disturbing image, let's just move on to the pics and call it a night, hmmm?

Second dedicated playthrough...met Michiko (or whatever her name is...or was, rather) for our second date. It didn't go like I had envisioned.
This #StopAsianHate thing isn't going so well.

I have prepared a haiku.

When met we again
I had hoped for new love, not...
Decapitation

Oh, well.

I think the hijab may be a bit much.
It feels like I'm mixing my genres, somewhat.

But the outfit is pretty much vanilla assets (aside from the face cyberwear thing), so if you're willing to lower your standards, there is hope. ::)

Another unfocused rant before I wander off: why do these devs put outfits/clothing/armor in their games that the player cannot acquire or even wear? They're clearly not seeing the game from the player's perspective; the player sees someone in cool armor, they might think "hey! I want that!" But no, young dumbass, it is not yours to wear. You should be content with those stupid jackets featuring the giant collars which make you feel like a dog wearing a cone that keeps you from biting your stitches.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2021, 04:05:49 AM »
3rd date. Not very good at this "getting to know you" thing.
Bloody hell, Michiko.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2021, 08:39:21 AM »
Date #4: I wonder if the townsfolk will ever find Michiko's head? I sure couldn't. And I looked. Believe me, I really looked.
God DAMN it, Michiko!

Sadly, I think our relationship isn't going to work out. Just got this feeling...

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2021, 12:24:19 PM »
Even though it's over, we just can't go on running into each other like this.
For the love of GOD, Michiko...

But enough of me, tell me how are you? You look good
Oh you lost weight I can see, your hair looks nice, you look good
Maybe we should try, don't say it! I know why

I can remember when it was easy to say I love you
But things have changed since then, now I really can't say if I still do
But I can try
I know the kids are well, you're a mother to the world
But I miss my boy
I hope he's good as gold

:ss-sad1

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2021, 11:49:32 AM »
The 1.2 patch was finally released ~34gb.

For me, it downloaded the whole game (the 58 GB of it, as I gave a pass to the two last minor patches) and it was surprisingly faster than updating (last time I updated it took a 3 min download and a full 30 minutes update process on the drive). So next time I will download the whole game again  :lol:

That aside, I'm trying to assert what they did actually fix. Thing is, none of the issues I had are fixed (for me it was mainly the audio crackling at 48000 Hz). I didn't have any of the issues mentioned in the patch notes... and I played the game three times! On the other hand a new bunch of weird things has been added, like shadows that occasionally just vanish and as you mentioned there's weird physics. I wheeled on a guy (by mistake, really) and he was stuck under my car... alive. He took it pretty well all things considered... not even a peep out of him (I guess CDPR never foresaw this case and they didn't have lines prepared "Stop! you're killing me!", "Get your car off me!").

I also take issue with the weird adjustment of gameplay (like if there wasn't a gazillion other things to adjust and fix in this game). Like:

Cyberpsychos and minibosses are now immune to Tranquilizer rounds and System Reset Quickhack.

That's nice and well... if you're playing a strength or figther build because you couldn't care less about quickhacks. But if you're playing a netrunner build, this "adjustment" guarantees that you will end up fighting at some point, and a netrunner build is not about fighting. So the only thing they did there is make sure that a netrunner is the last thing you'll want to play. Well done.

It is no longer possible to perform Gorilla Arms finishers against civilians.

Seriously. That was an issue that needed addressing?  :realconfused: Why? Are 90% of Cyberpunk players running around whacking civilians for fun? That would be really worrying.

Gorilla Arms damage has been increased by 20%.

What?! Those were already overpowered as they were (and I mean really overpowered, and that's coming from a guy that has generally no problem with OP). So 20% more... whatever. I won't even try to guess why...

V should now automatically unequip a charged grenade when entering safe areas.

The thing is: who can be dumb enough to enter an area with a cooked grenade before asserting that there are enemies there?

Fixed an issue where pedestrians could get teleported after being hit by a vehicle.

And created an issue where they get stuck alive under the vehicle instead?

Panam now occupies a different sniping spot during the fight with the Raffens in Ghost Town.

Does that make her more useful or even less? In any way, care to explain why it does matter?

And so on, and so forth... It's a very, very loooong list of alleged "fixes" (I say alleged because as one can see some "fixes" are really just gameplay adjustment).

I'm not even firing at CDPR because not every bug and issues are fixed. On a game that complex it can be a nightmare to fix something without breaking something else, I get it. But I'm firing at them for "fixing" what should be left alone in the first place. Get rid of the real issues first and the rest can be sorted out after that.

But enough of me, tell me how are you? You look good

OK, when one starts quoting this particular song with this kind of pictures one can be sure that there is some kind of revenge being taken against someone... Either that or you're turning psychopath. Which, granted,  is still a possibility...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 11:54:52 AM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2021, 11:53:39 AM »
Well...exploring more of the game's odd quirks: when I had the default Kiroshi eye thing (one mod slot), I could equip and unequip the Target Analysis mod (i.e., the non-lethal mod) for dealing with cyberpsychos. With the Mk3 version, once I equip the mod, it's there forever. As far as I can tell. Weird.

I had to revert to a save before I equipped it. Maddening nonsense.

Things I Hate With The Heat Of A Thousand Suns:

- That song where the guy's yelling something something "BECAUSE IT MAKES ME FEEL BETTER" over and over and over and over. I hate him.

- That song where the woman's droning on about something something demhumanized something something. I hate her.

- I absolutely hate most of the music anyway. And there is no way to turn it off, even if you've done so in the settings. That doesn't affect the radios blaring all over the place. You can turn THOSE off individually, but when there's a speaker setup? No.

[What this game needs is user-made radio stations, like GTA; drop your mp3s in a folder and voila! But no. No. We gotta listen to this utter shit passing as "music." So I just turn the radio off. I'd rather drive in silence than subject myself to torment. "But what about the death metal channel, O Silver?" Yes, I like that channel. But only if I'm in that sort of mood. Sometimes, yeah...but most of the time I end up shouting "KNOCK OFF THAT GROWLING CRAP!"]

- The complete lack of being able to make in-game cosmetic changes. Sure, you can have some guy lop off both of your arms and attach fancy cybernetic blades or something, but god forbid you should be able to walk into a barber shop and get a hair cut.

- Clothing customization would be nice, too. I mean, you could dye your clothes different colors in Neverwinter Nights, for Christ's sake...fast forward 20 years and if you don't like that your outfit makes you look like a demented banana split, too damn bad. [It shouldn't be too hard to implement, right? Take pants: each particular pair may have a bunch of texture variations...why not let the player customize 'em?]

- The next asshole who blows smoke in my face during a conversation is going to DIE.

- Each vehicle handles differently; so much so that I have to dive into the settings to adjust sensitivity every time I drive a different one. (I am, however, grateful that they added the steering slider.) Mostly I just stick to motorcycles anymore.

I look spectacular when I fly off the damned thing.

- Stealth. Works okay until you alert someone and every single bad guy in the vicinity goes nuts and zeroes in on you. Even if you manage to get back into stealth, everyone's on alert.

- In one case, hunting down the snipers for Takemura, I was being stealthy and hadn't alerted anyone; I saved in a room not far from the third guy. I had to reload for some reason (don't ask me why, I don't know), and upon reloading, he spotted me immediately (that godawful "BLEEK!" sound) through a wall and a closed door. And I was behind him.

- Kill someone with a sniper rifle, while stealthed: the other bad guys will know exactly where you are zerg-rush your ass.

- Open that door. Oh, not strong enough? Shame. Not tech-savvy enough? So sad. What's that? You want to use Remote Deactivation? That only works on SOME doors. Not this one. Sucks to be you.

- ...and so on.

Oh, and they released the 1.21 hotfix soon after the vaunted 1.2 patch.  ::)  They managed to fix a buggy quest that I had JUST figured out a (somewhat) clever way to complete, so I guess that's cool and all.  :ss-nono

[FYI, it was the monk quest...uh..."Losing My Religion," it was called? Anyway, the last bad guy was stuck in a container. (Since I was taking the non-lethal path, I couldn't just lob frag grenades and hope for the concussion to kill him.) Using Ping on a snack machine revealed him, but then what? So I equipped a non-lethal mod on a tech rifle and shot him through the container. Mission complete with no kills! The monk was happy, but Johnny wasn't. Asshole.]

So the only thing they did there is make sure that a netrunner is the last thing you'll want to play. Well done.

For some reason, it seemed like it was taking forever for some quickhacks to work on bad guys, too (after 1.21 it was almost back to normal? I don't know). Nerf one of the few good gameplay options in the game, guys. Bravo.

Anyway, I hadn't experienced that many of the bugs they fixed, either...and they should really focus on those before screwing up the gameplay, I agree.  :lol:

OK, when one starts quoting this particular song with this kind of pictures one can be sure that there is some kind of revenge being taken against someone... Either that or you're turning psychopath. Which, granted,  is still a possibility...

;D

Why not both? :evil1:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2021, 09:26:41 PM »
Kickin' around Kabuki. Again. Ran into a familiar face and blew her mind.

Not a metaphor.

"Catastrophic synaptic shock overload? For me? Why you shouldn't have!"

We talked, we laughed, we reminisced fondly over what we once had. And then, for old time's sake, I chopped her head off.

ESRB Rating: Teen + "Scenes of graphic lemonade spillage."

We spoke of the children; she wistfully regretted that her career as a street thug kept her from spending more time with our boy Hubert, who was doing well in school and beginning to show an interest in girls. And then I chopped her head off for naming him "Hubert."

"Hubert. Hubert?? HUBERT. Christ."

It was good, yet bittersweet. She brought a friend along for support, you know, so she wouldn't lose her head (metaphorically speaking). I killed her friend, too. Rather, her friend blew her own brains out. It was pretty messy. I laughed, she laughed, we both laughed and laughed and laughed. Except her friend. She mostly just lay there, rotting.

We'll always have Japantown.

~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~

From the Wikipedia entry "Michiko":

The entire story of Michiko's effect on the life of Silver Sorrow isn't entirely clear, as it was mostly related in pictures with snarky little asides under them. But the following text sums up the ordeal in such a way as to elicit cries of "we gotta get this guy a hobby before he kills somebody!" from even the most casual of readers:

2 Salivations 19:1-4
1 And The Foxhole was told, “Behold, Silver is weeping and mourning for Michiko.”
2 So the victory that day was turned into mourning for all the people. For the people heard it said that day, “Silver is grieved for his date.”
3 And the people stole back into the city that day, as people who are ashamed steal away when they flee in battle.
4 But Silver covered his face, and Silver cried out with a loud voice, “O my date Michiko! O Michiko, my date, my date!”

Michiko In Popular Culture
William Faulkner's novel, Michiko, Michiko! is said to have been inspired by the scripture above, although most of those making that claim were likely drunk. As was Faulkner, probably. Decades later, Neil Peart of Rush alluded that the scripture in question was the inspiration for the lyrics to "Distant Early Dinner Date," with its haunting coda, "Michiko, Michiko, Michiko"...although it is very likely that someone spiked Neil's drink before the interview.

~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~

And so on.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2021, 09:48:36 PM »
Another entry in the I've Never Been So Happy To Have Been So Wrong tome of discovery: who knows what you might find, with a little bit of experimentation? That is to say, you CAN stop the seemingly unstoppable cacophony of musical terrorism that this game refers to as "music": shoot the goddamn speakers. That's all you have to do, just shoot them. And you can shoot radios to shut them up too, which is unnecessary...they do have an on/off switch, after all. But it's much more fun to shoot them.

On another note...the Detonate Grenade quickhack is something of a crapshoot. It works beautifully, but herein lies the problem: the effects of your labor depend on what type of grenade your target has. And I think it may depend on the target's affiliation. For example, Militech guys and Animals seem to carry flashbangs? But Scavs...heh. Illustration:

On the beach, near the roller coaster. I Pinged a satellite dish and saw the outlines of five Scavs dancing. Detonate Grenade on one of them...oh, hey! Turns out he was carrying a frag grenade. BOOM. Five Scavs + 1 frag = a million easy pieces.

I may be finding joy in all the wrong places, as usual.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2021, 11:09:17 AM »
Oh, and they released the 1.21 hotfix soon after the vaunted 1.2 patch.

Well, according to CDPR road map released earlier this year, 1.2 is only the first of two major patches planned for 2021. And they said there might be a third one and also to expect some minor patches here and there. So at least, they weren't lying  :lol: And if we're fortunate, the first DLCs should come out toward the end of the year... that is if everything is going according to plans... which is rarely the case. If the initial release hadn't been such a mess we would already have several free DLCs out and a major (not free) one near. And then of course there was a server hack... no kidding  ::)

I absolutely hate most of the music anyway.

I do too. I think it's a generational thing. We're getting too old dude. But I'm sure someone someday will come with a mod for that too (the in game music, not the aging... unfortunately).

What this game needs is user-made radio stations, like GTA; drop your mp3s in a folder and voila!

Pretty much.

The complete lack of being able to make in-game cosmetic changes.

That's something that puzzled me. After all, even Geralt could get a haircut in two of the games. There wasn't cosmetic options because Geralt was Geralt but there was haircut and even beard options. So why not even that in Cyberpunk? Actually I have no idea but that points out to the rushing of the game for release because customization is among the last things one take care of during development. It will probably be added as a DLC or in a future patch but as I said... not a development priority in any case.

I also discovered more gameplay changes that I'm not necessarily happy with. For example, there's this quest with Delamain (the very last quest when you get to the core to reset it) and you have to choose between three different options, one of these being inaccessible if you didn't have the maximum (20) in hacking because it was about merging several AI together... It made perfect sense to me because only a top quality hacker could do that. And after the patch 1.2... the requirement dropped to 15... So now you just need to be a passable hacker to merge several AI consciousnesses like a pro. Isn't that great...

I get that they probably did that because a lot of gamers were pissed off not being able to satisfactorily end the quest but... Remind me what RPG is about? Being able able to do thing you're qualified for and not things you're unqualified for... well, yeah, this is the main principle of RPGs. Up to you to choose your qualifications.

Somehow I think there are too many people out there thinking that Cyberpunk should be a GTA clone and not it's own game and that is only because there are cars in it. Very sad comparing two games because of just one common denominator: you can drive so... they're the same.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2021, 10:36:31 PM »
CDPR has done a good enough job of shooting themselves in the foot without hacker idiots making it worse. ::)

We're getting too old dude.

I've come to accept that, I guess. It's not that the music of today sucks, it's...okay, yes, it sucks. But I'm too old to deny that it sucks and just pretend that it's awesome. I guess the blessing could be "may you never live long enough to develop a sense of musical taste." (Ted Nugent put it a bit more bluntly: "if it's too loud you're too old!")

I wonder...when they were shedding nonessential features just to make their deadline, if they also chucked the named store icons from our map. Where's this store? Where's that store? Who knows? I never can remember where anything is, so I spend most of the time poring over the map, trying to guess where certain stores might be.

Nerfed the Delamain quest, eh? Well. I guess that makes sense, as their whole approach to gameplay is a bit schizophrenic. Sure, make the ultimate test of your hacking skill easier! Meanwhile, let's keep the very first real quest, where you're expected to power through a bunch of Scavs -- one armed with a heavy machine gun that will turn you into 165 pounds of ground chuck in seconds -- whilst armed with a pistol and a single clip. No, you need to sneak and take 'em down quietly! Of course, the bad guys are a bit unpredictable and tend to find you through sheer bad luck on your part...

:madatwall:

But I mean, yeah: I'll find a door that obviously has goodies behind it; it requires, say, 8 Body to open. I only have 5 because I've been putting points into Reflexes and Intelligence. That's my own fault, I admit. It's an RPG. I only have myself to blame for my build.

The next idiot who gripes that this game should be more like GTA oughtta be shot like a rabid dog.

Btw, I'd like to complain. Yes, again. OK, this is about the side job "Sweet Dreams." This job is for the dodos out there. Some sketchy guy idling on the street offers you a BD...

...reaction: no, no, no, and again: NO.

...for the low, low price of 16,000 eddies...

...at this point, every instinct I have is screaming...

...and it won't play on your wreath, so you need to rent his for an additional 4,000...

...MAYDAY MAYDAY RUN STUPID...

...so you just nip into his little crash pad and slip the wreath on and...

...you moron...

...you wake up naked in a filthy bathroom with Johnny correctly identifying you as the damn dumbest asshole to ever walk the face of the earth.

Seriously, why does this job even exist? Even someone with the most rudimentary of street smarts (hi!) would avoid this one like the plague. I made a hard save before even talking to the guy, expecting the worst. I refused to even entertain the notion of going through with it, but I wondered: it couldn't be as blatantly obvious as that, could it? Spoiler alert: it could. In most cases, if your first thought is "this is not a good idea," then you may very well be right. And in this case...well.

I suppose the only reason to do the job is if you're going for a 100% completion thing, but jeez...some things should not even be considered. So I skipped it.

Similarly, I skipped out on going to dinner with River and his sister. This is what I get for making a character that's too nice. One minute you're trying not to aggravate the terrorist devouring your brain, the next you're dodging some one-eyed cop's dick.

If that isn't a metaphor for life, I don't know what is.

And my first playthrough saw my femme V and Judy engage in what I could only describe (with horror) as "lesbian smoking fetish play." I cracked open a second bottle of Tums for that one. I didn't give a crap about Judy's side quest in the first place (I cared even less about Evelyn Parker's fate), and I sure as hell didn't...oh, forget it. In summary: I ghosted Judy in my second playthrough.

I really need to play something else. :P

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2021, 09:47:16 AM »
Thinking about it -- what is that delightful aroma? oh, wait: it's just burning synapses -- the most obvious way to avoid a romance (so to speak) with Judy is to play as a male.

Playing As A Male V: Cons
- Missing out on a "romance" with tattooed fishmonger Judy
- Wearing tight leather pants isn't as visually appealing
- Terrible hair options (man-bun or whooshy queer pompadour? You decide!)
- The near-paralyzing dread that at any moment you could be hit square in the nuts

Playing As A Male V: Pros
- Judy is not an option
- Clothing options in general are horrible, so it doesn't matter what you wear
- If you're playing him as gay, you have a ton of options
- Panam.
- Being able to pee standing up AND write your name in the snow with accuracy

A moment of self-realization: maybe Judy bugs me so much because she sounds a bit like Marcy Long from Fallout 4 at times.

All that aside, the one real trouble I had with playing female V is that I never could make the connection between her voice and the appearance I chose; the two things never really seemed to work together. V's personality to me, as based on the voice-acting, is that of a brash, reactionary youngster; she ventures into bouts of naivete, and would be likely to drop an f-bomb or two in a eulogy. However...

My customized V doesn't exactly convey that impression. I consistently had to fight with my dialog options, which were usually antagonistic, and V's outbursts, which were usually whiny, or obscene, or too verbose, or all of those at the same time. In short: for me, there's a kind of disconnect between the voice and the avatar.

If pains had been taken to show V in third person while interacting, it would likely help; it's a far cry from Commander Shepard, who features heavily in every sense of the gameplay experience that you believe, without a doubt, that the voice matches the face no matter how your femshep turned out after twiddling those sliders in chargen (usually in vain).

Instead, you're never taken out of first person; even when speaking to Pepe (in the Streetkid origin opener) and you can see your reflection in the mirror briefly as you converse. Indeed, you'll notice that your lips aren't moving as you're talking.

EDIT: That should have been divided into separate points, expanded, and clarified. I'll give it another try:

Instead, you're rarely (if third person vehicle cameras count) taken out of first person; as such, whenever I see her in the inventory screen, I can't quite reconcile the voice with the face. Most of what we see of V involves flailing hands or weapons...

What I thought strange was when V spoke to Pepe in the Streetkid origin opener and we saw her reflection briefly in the nearby mirror as the conversation began: her lips weren't moving as she was talking. Then the mirror blanked out and we found ourselves far too close to Pepe himself. (Aside: Car interiors, in the same sense, are a chilling violation of the concept of "personal space.")

End of EDIT. Happy trails, pilgrim.

EDIT #2: Let Me Try To Confuse What I Mean

I completely forgot that the corpo and nomad intros featured V speaking while looking into a mirror...and her lips moved fine. Maybe the streetkid thing is just one of those weird things.

So I have no idea what I mean by even bringing it up. Really. Not a friggin' clue.

Anyway.

END of EDIT #2. Here lies EDIT #2.

Now, someone with a lot more patience (than I can muster) could put together all kinds of philosophical and psychological theories and the like concerning such things (you're in the Matrix! sorta!), but I just spent the morning muscling a goddamn heavy Inversion Table into a dusty, grimy garage already filled with similarly worthless shit, so I'm giving that nonsense a hard pass.

(FYI, there's a character preset on Nexus -- V's Character Preset by Jade -- that attempts to make femme V look like her voice actress, Cherami Leigh.)

As for the male V, I don't know...I haven't played him long enough to form an impression yet. But we got a few days until ME:Legendary comes out, so I'm giving it a whirl.

...or I might just sit here with my face on the desk as I listen to the original Tron theme on an endless loop. That seems more likely.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 10:52:53 PM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2021, 08:02:16 AM »
Exploring the endings as I wreck them:

First playthrough (corpo), I got The Sun ending, which involved:

Spoiler
- Letting Johnny take over
- "He" and Rogue storming Arasaka tower
- Rogue being killed by Adam Smasher; "me" killing Smasher
- Listening to someone (Alt?) read from Yeats' "Sailing To Byzantium" as "I" ran forever towards a ziggurat in the Matrix
- A confab between V and Johnny
- Returning as V
- Waking up with Judy
- Suffering through a drawn-out breakup with Judy, which is supposed to be "sad"; I laughed and laughed
- Realizing that I'm now the best darn Fixer this town has ever seen, by golly!
- Recoiling in mortification as I discover that my wardrobe was designed by Liberace
- Oh, no! Only a few months left to live!
- Might as well rob the orbiting casino in the Crystal Palace, right?
- Space-walking my way to riches and infamy...
- Roll credits; various people I've met leave visual voicemail
- Highlight: Takemura hoping that I rot in hell

Link: "Sailing To Byzantium"

Aside: When I first heard that the Crystal Palace had a casino, I thought "wouldn't a space casino heist be an interesting thing to do..."

And I could have gone through the other endings with my first character, but since I spent so much time grinding through the thing with my most recent build (nomad), I went with that one for this next bit.

Next ending: The Devil

Spoiler
- Agreed to Hanako's plan (testify before the Arasaka board in exchange for removing the chip safely)
- Stormed the Arasaka estate with Takemura
- Stormed Arasaka tower
- Said "hmmmm...." as Hanako conversed with the engram of Saburo Arasaka and got her marching orders
- Attended a lovely meeting of the Board; chuckled as Yorinobu's goons wiped out most of the Board members
- Stormed the upper floors to nab Yorinobu
- Informed by Hanako that if I harmed "one hair" on Yorinobu's head, our deal would be off...things were becoming ominously clear at this point...
- Killed Adam Smasher
- Talked a bit with an extremely depressed Yorinobu
- Took an elevator to somewhere with Hellman
- Surgery...in space!
- A series of scenes...many, many scenes...of V's struggles with post-surgery testing by the doctor, interspersed with dreams, etc.
- Repeatedly attempting (and failing) to solve a dumbed-down Rubik's Cube featured heavily
- Realizing through news reports that Hanako's plan was...
- ...wait for it...
- ...a plot to replace Yorinobu's mind with Saburo's engram; the Emperor reborn!
- Sick, sick, sick. Whole family's a sick buncha monkeys.
- Was told I could call people back on earth...only had a few, and most of them were a little too busy to talk anyway
- Finally solved the Cube
- Wondered if I could, at some point, drive my thumbs into the doctor's eyes, much like that one scene from Blade Runner
- THAT would have been a good ending
- Visited by Takemura, who dropped by to chat; was told that I'd probably be spending Christmas dead.
- I was given the option to either grab my shit and go back home to earth to die, or sign up for the Engram Program, which would put me in a library of souls until such a time as they could find a suitable body for my engram
- In short: let them make a digital copy of my mind and then kill me...
- ...but it's for Science, so it must be okay!
- I took the engram option because, hey, it was the most depressing
- The trembling, hopeful smile on V's face as she prepared for the procedure was...well, heart-breaking
- Roll credits

Reflection: Johnny was 100% correct in calling Hanako a porcelain [lady part].

Even though this ending is likely considered canon, I don't really like it. But it is appropriate. Corpo-sponsored Science rolls on, grinding the little guy (and gal) into hamburger, and there's no way to stop it. At this point you realize that Johnny's actions against Arasaka were completely justified...but ultimately futile.

Next ending...as I get to it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 12:13:42 PM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2021, 12:07:56 PM »
Okay, more endings. There are supposedly at least six, btw. So I tried the Nomad ending(s)...

#1: The Star
Spoiler
- Contacted Panam and the Aldecaldos
- Killed a shitload of people and bots
- Lost a couple of memorable allies
- Drilled our way into Arasaka tower
- Killed more people, including Adam Smasher
- Wow, Saul really met a grisly end...
- Connected to Alt
- Ran towards the same digital ziggurat, this time with a reading from a T.S. Eliot work ("The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock")
- Enh...I prefer Yeats.
- High spirits brought low by the bad news: Alt can't quite make you yourself again...
- So you have a choice: either let Johnny take over your body, effectively killing you (seeing as how it's been altered to house him), or...
- ...stay in your body and live out what you have left (six months, at least)
- First go-round, V stayed in her own skin...
- Met up with Panam, we drove the Basilisk through an old Aldecaldo tunnel under the border wall and ended up in Arizona
- God knows why
- But hope springs eternal, as there may be a cure for your condition out there
- This is considered a good ending
- Roll credits
- Misty's voicemail confirms the "good" nature of the ending by saying that her tarot reading was quite good
- Takemura's call was still somewhat hurtful

Link: "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

And then I tried out the alternative way, which they call Temperance:

Spoiler
- Chose instead to let Johnny stay in V's body, opting to follow Alt across the digital bridge and into oblivion
- Johnny isn't happy about it, tries to discourage me
- Ignored him, just wanted a nap
- Woke up in a strange apartment; gathered up a few things, headed out the door
- Got the teenager down the hall to give me a lift to a music store...
- ...after I intimidated his abusive father, of course
- Gave the kid advice on music, being a rebel, and most importantly, to never shave against the grain unless he enjoys ingrown hair
- I may have made that last one up
- Notice that V's voice is double-tracked with Johnny's
- Got to the store, try out a guitar, pay for it, leave
- Go to the Columbarium (cemetery), pay for V's niche, leave the bullet amulet in the niche, say a few words
- Talked to the kid, discouraged him from smoking, cross the street and get on the bus
- Had some trouble getting on the bus...V's gotta lay off the sim-sirloin, or whatever
- Kid ran up to the bus with the guitar, yelling that I'd forgotten it; I tell him I didn't forget a thing
- Bus drives off
- I roll down the window, poke my head out like a dog, get decapitated by a stop sign
- Okay, so that didn't happen
- But it would've made perfect sense if it had
- Roll credits
- Misty's voicemail mentions that the reading she did portends something very, very bad
- Takemura is not happy, still

I'm not exactly sure what "kuso-ama" means, but the more I dug, the more interpretations I found. "Poo poo woman" was the most literal, I believe, with "slut-whore" being one possibility. "Bitch" was one offering. Whatever the true meaning, I get the gist.

So...in short, it's whatever YOU prefer for your V's finale. If going Corpo...well, forget a real happy ending there.

Nomad...obviously, the real happy ending there is taking control and starting a new life in Arizona, of all places. (Could be worse...could be Oklahoma.)

Aside: In the Nomad endings, upon listening to the radio, it's implied that Arasaka is in shambles and hints that they're probably heading for a war with Militech; Hanako was apparently killed at some point, and Yorinobu is in charge.

Personally, I prefer The Sun ending. Second favorite? The Star. And Temperance wasn't too bad either. But The Devil...woo, GRIM.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 12:14:10 PM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2021, 03:18:16 PM »
OK so here's the thing... In Cyberpunk 2077 you can opt to have your V wearing undies or be completely nude. And yet, for several months people were puzzled by the fact that even if you choose the "full nudity" option, your V, either male or female, wear a... I really don't even know what to call it because it doesn't resemble anything, it's like a modder who'd quickly had hidden genitals with a pieces of tasteless texture.

But that's not the bizarre thing there... No the bizarre thing is you're wearing underwear only in game like if your V is under the shower or has no clothes and it only affect genitals, not the breasts area. In the inventory screen though, your V is fully nude as it is intended with the proper option when selected at the start of a new game (this option cannot be changed once a game is in progress).

So of course that discrepancy got a lot of people (me included) asking why. But here's CR Projekt to the rescue:

Quote from: fron CD Projekt Red forums
Hey everyone!

I see this thread has grown quite a lot, so I'm here to dispel any doubts - lack of nudity (outside of the inventory) is not a bug, this works as intended. If you undress V, they will always have underwear in FPP and photo mode and any other cases outside of the inventory menu.

No need to submit it as a bug to our support :)

Best,
Alicja

Seriously guys... worst answer ever. You don't give a *WHY* which is what most people are interested in you just say "this is how it is and thanks to not mention it in the future". Granted, I can go with "it's not a bug and it's supposed to be that way" but then you have to give a reason why it's supposed to be that way because the way anybody defines it right not is total inconsistency -- because in the end, why does it matter to have a V not fully nude in game if they are fully nude in the inventory screen? I don't know, was there animations problems with the male version of V... Did you receive death threats by a Japanese committee of "we do porn but pretend not to by hiding anything genital"?

There are a truckload of options to choose from and as long as you don't give a real answer people will continue guessing. That will be amusing...

Oh and for the record... the "secret" ending so hard to obtain, so difficult to go through, and yet so underwhelming (both choices). Seriously I understand why it is so hard to get to this secret ending because that's probably the thing in the whole game that's shouting out loud "WE WEREN'T READY FOR PRIME TIME". Because I guess that if you had more time this secret ending would have been better. Please tell me you had other plans than this pathetic excuse for a *secret* ending...

I'm not exactly sure what "kuso-ama" means, but the more I dug, the more interpretations I found. "Poo poo woman" was the most literal, I believe, with "slut-whore" being one possibility. "Bitch" was one offering. Whatever the true meaning, I get the gist.

I played the game as male and got the same. So I can assume that you can safely discard "Poo poo woman" and "Slut-whore". "Bitch" would seem to be the reasonable option that could be used for both genders. It might be one of those insults that are purely language dependent and cannot be easily translated. Like "connard" in French that is generally translated as "asshole" and yet is not "asshole" because we have the exact translation of that insult that we are also using as an insult: "Trou-du-cul" which does not mean the same as "connard". So there it is. That's possibly one of those language mysteries that cannot be truly translated; you know, lost in translation and all that.

:funup:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 03:36:05 PM by Starfox »

everything