Author Topic: Cyberpunk 2077  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Cyberpunk 2077
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2021, 06:08:31 PM »
Whoops. I've been so focused on mass effect (original) that I forgot that everything else (seasoned food, the internet, et al) existed.  :hammerhead:

I read somewhere that at least one of the CDPR devs is happy where the game stands now; apparently it's now where it should have been, had they the time to finish it in the first place.

I find this conclusion somewhat confusing for some reason, but never mind my muddled cognitive "skills."

Anyway, I read somewhere -- obviously I am so plugged into well-documented sources that I don't need to cite them at all  -- that they're at the point where a big update's on the way and free DLC isn't far behind.

Great, if true, but...will it be enough to get me to reinstall everything?

But I'm probably just being a pessimist again.

Nudity:

Public: Um...hey, there's a problem here. You--
CDPR: THERE IS NO PROBLEM.
Public: No, there is. It's--
CDPR: THERE IS NO PROBLEM.
Public: Are you kidding me with this crap?
CDPR: THERE IS NO PROBLEM. WE ARE IN COMPLETE CONTROL. THERE IS NO BUG. THAT IS ALL.
Public: But--
CDPR: THAT. IS. ALL.

I think they just don't want to admit that they're having trouble implementing a physics-enabled first person weiner.

CHANGELOG:
+ Fixed an issue where the player's dick kept smacking Judy in the face during conversations, regardless of lower body clothing choice. As this is a serious attack (perhaps even a hate crime!) and a complete disregard of her distaste for all things penile, we had no choice but to validate her feelings and utterly emasculate players using the "male" pronoun. See the final note below for more changes related to this decision.
+ Pride Month Update: The rainbow flag on Claire's truck has now been enlarged enough to cover the entire vehicle.
+ Related gameplay change: the player, regardless of gender pronoun designation, will no longer engage in violent races against others, but will instead be tasked with participating in pronoun-free affirmation parades that are -- and correctly so -- mandatory for the completion of the game itself.
+ Finally, lighter-skin tones and the entire male gender have been removed from the game completely, as have heterosexual romance options. This is a temporary hotfix (no pun nor insult intended towards players undergoing transition). We apologize to the players with "male" genitalia who identify as "female"; we are working towards a series of solutions that please each and every individual player, regardless of how "out there" a player's desired configuration may seem to narrow-minded racists.

ANYWAY.

Personally, I opt for underwear on my V, as I cannot feel comfortable knowing that he or she is going full commando in leather pants. Think about it.  :ss-weird1

It's just another in my long line of weird hangups, I admit.

The "secret" ending:

"You will need to make these specific decisions, without variation, and meet these specific requirements throughout the dozens of hours you'll be playing the game, in order to get this particularly shitty ending. Please refer to the spreadsheet provided...and please do not send any more death threats."

That's possibly one of those language mysteries that cannot be truly translated; you know, lost in translation and all that.

True; sometimes something just *is*... It's like jazz: if you gotta ask, you'll never know.

It is funny, though, when some egghead with a notepad starts asking questions.

"What does this phrase mean?"
"You don't want to know."
[scribbling furiously] "'...want...to...know.' Got it. Thanks!"
"Wait, it--oh, forget it. Have a nice day, white man." [malicious Native chuckling]
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2021, 09:34:52 AM »
Well...when they said "small DLCs," they weren't kidding.

Players knew Cyberpunk 2077's first free DLC would be small, but not this small

DLC Spoiler:
Spoiler
Those new DLCs include two new jackets for V, an alternative appearance for Johnny Silverhand, and a new vehicle, the Archer Quartz Bandit, which can be purchased or earned as a reward.

Also: There's a pic of the new alternate Silverhand outfit.  :sleepy2:

So...yay, huh?  :ss-kickcan

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2021, 08:34:52 AM »
From TweakTown:

Here's Cyberpunk 2077's first DLC and how to access them in-game

Cyberpunk 2077's free DLC currently includes:
-New Johnny Silverhand skin - Accessed via the game settings menu
-Archer Quartz Bandit car variant - Complete the Ghost Town mission (takes a few days to unlock)
-2 mew [sic] jackets - Grab them from the stash in V's apartment

There's a couple of pics. Yay.

The 1.3 patch is out as well, so again: yay.  :dontcare:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2021, 12:10:10 AM »
Since I hate myself so much, I've been messing around in Night City again. There *is* an actual reason, I just don't think it's good enough to mention. But self-loathing is in itself motive for all kinds of things, so I'll go with that. Anyway, I...

...uh, I forgot what my point was. Hell, I'll just wing it. Again.

I took a look at the two new DLC jackets, and I was phenomenally underwhelmed. One is this hideous pink thing and the other is so boring that I fell asleep just looking at it and smacked my face on the desk so hard that I broke my right orbital socket and sent a splinter of bone directly into my frontal lobe, which utterly altered my personality. At least, that's what my lawsuit alleges. So rest assured that, despite any loathsome racist epithet-hurling I may engage in until the suit is settled, I'm only doing it for the money and not out of some deep-seated hatred for [racial slur]s. Lousy rotten filthy [racial slur] bastards. It's all their fault!

So...point is: DLC jackets? Crap.

I haven't gotten a look at Johnny's new look yet, but I suspect that it won't be all that interesting.

As for the new car, I haven't gotten that far yet, either. I am prepared to yawn myself into a state of catatonia.

However, all is not lost. At least in the grassroots sense. V in different languages-Japanese changes V's spoken language to Japanese, so you can RP a Japanese character that everyone seems to understand (perhaps they read the subtitles?). There's also a version for Korean.

[Other languages would be nice; Spanish, for example. Some have also requested Russian, as well.]

The Japanese version, however, I enjoy for at least one reason: the female Japanese V (Risa Shimizu, I believe), has a more pleasant voice, at least to my frazzled nerves. No offense to the American actress (Cherami Leigh), who did an excellent job, but...I don't know. She's fine. I'm just weird.

What else? Oh, who knows.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2021, 06:46:21 AM »
To be frank I tried none of that. I haven't touched the game since version 1.2. At some point I will have to make a review of it so I guess I will replay it but considering that I played already 3 times (once for each backstory) I'm a bit stuffed with it.

But I believe you. If the guys designing the new jackets are the same than those who designed most of the game wardrobe, there's nothing to be impressed about.

Oh and I had the version 1.3 installed then the patch 1.31 arrived and... the whole game was downloaded again. I guess it's much simpler and considerably quicker than attempting to just patch the thing.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2021, 08:53:33 PM »
Sadly, I mistyped: in describing the first jacket, I said "hideous pink thing"; that isn't the case. It's actually red. And it glows. So I will amend: "...a horrifying red assault upon the senses, a crime against all that is good in the world, and a possible case for criminal charges against the developers."

It may have been better, had it been in pink.  :-\

I love that they're patching away. (Lt. Drebin: I've been swimming in raw sewage. I love it!) Besides needing to download the entire game every time, with every major update it breaks mods, modding tools, and utilities. It's a treat for those of us who enjoy masochism on a minor scale. ::)

EDIT: Pictures of the DLC jackets! ¬°Arriba! :vacation: [fires pistolas in the air]

She's enthused.
"Yay."

She's barely keeping it together. It's just so hard sometimes. But she's brave.
"My life is a lie. And my jacket sucks."

Pics of Johnny and the car when 1) I get to those points, and 2) if I remember to take shots. I predict that I'll lose interest or a meteor destroys the earth. Count on the former and hope for the latter.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 11:46:52 AM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2021, 03:26:18 AM »
Finally got to see the new Silverhand.

He'd look even better with a Flock Of Seagulls haircut.

Kinda...new wave punk Neo? Not sure I like it. Probably switch back to the original.

And I ran into an old flame.

Ah, Michiko. How's android life been treating you?

That's all for now. Tune in next time for absolutely nothing of value.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2021, 06:11:53 PM »
I think they keep screwing with netrunning. It seems to take longer to hack someone (probably just imagining it, as I am the very soul of impatience), and now hostiles seem to hone in on me faster. Also, various gangs are touchier, with a casual drive drawing a lot more aggression than before...and I didn't even run over anyone first.

I haven't been able to confirm this, but I've seen complaints that they've made Contagion completely useless now.

Screw with it until they break it, then break it a little more.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2021, 11:47:03 PM »
Thought I'd test my weird little theory (the one about cyberhacking being increasingly nerfed, not the one about the colors orange and pink being essentially the same thing) by running through the skills tutorial again. I had suspected, and it was true, I guess.

When facing the last three guys with your bright yellow training katana, you're tasked with defeating them with all the stuff you've learned. Before the patch, I found that I could run breach protocol on the biggest guy, zap him with Suicide, and then shishkebab the others while he blew his bot brains out.

But now, I can't even run breach on him at all. And Old Testament Job thought HE had problems. :P

[On a side note: here's a reddit thread concerning the latest problem with stealthy hacker builds. Distressing.]

And here's my favorite part, my TRULY favorite part of the new patch: apparently, you cannot hack people through walls using Legendary Ping anymore. A thread on the official forums brings this up.

I don't really see the point of playing a netrunner build (or even playing at all!) if they're just going to take all the fun out of it.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2021, 08:42:26 AM »
Yeah. I've started a new game with 1.31 and immediately realized a number of gameplay changes have taken place. Hacking was nerfed. Equipping several protection cyberware mod is not possible any longer (for example one can have a mod against shock or one against fire but not both at the same time. If you try to put a protection mod, it override any protection mod you already have installed). As far as I know this behavior was introduced with patch 1.3 or 1.31 because I never had the issue before.

The whole "adjusting gameplay" thing is a testament to the fact the game was released far from being ready. Balancing gameplay is something developers generally do last in the development cycle once everything else is taken care of. Once released you shouldn't have to adjust gameplay at all (except if needed for fixing a bug). the fact tat they are still adjusting gameplay almost a year after release is telling.  The Witcher 3 never had such gameplay adjustment troubles. There were features added with the DLCs but that aside, the whole "adjusting this and nerfing that" theme so dear to Cyberpunk 2077 was not that prominent.

New Johnny's (AKA, The Pimp) look... crap. New vests... crap. New car... jury's still out.

I'm really not impressed with the whole patch handling of this game.

I don't know what upcoming DLCs will be about but they really need to do something right on this title for once.

As far as I'm concerned the whole hacking was far better in the early versions of the game than now (which is ironic considering we are talking about Cyberpunk there). And I guess we have the upcoming multiplayer mod to thank for that (in an attempt to re-balance things between human players; and I don't mind as long as they leave the single player side of things alone).

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2021, 11:15:35 AM »
I've never played Cyberpunk 2077, but my reasoning isn't due to the issues the game has had at- and post-launch.  It just never struck me as that interesting a setting as far as the cyberpunk genre goes.  There are others--whether in film, game, etc.--that just seem like a more interesting place to spend my time than Night City.  The one thing the original role-playing game did that does interest me is the whole the-more-cybernetic-you-get-the-less-human-you-become mechanic, and if that had been the focus of Cyberpunk 2077's game design I'd have been intrigued, but instead they just decided to make you play second fiddle to a famous character from the source material.  Missed opportunity.
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2021, 05:01:19 PM »
Gameplay changes: along with hacking being...less fun...I'm also seeing a bit of a un-fun trend in dealing with the cyberpsychos. For example, the one on the bridge who snipes the robot and the cops? Yeah, him. Well, I made sure to stay out of sight, but the bastard ended up seeing me immediately...through cover...from a long way away. I guess there could be a good reason for that (implants!), but he and a couple of others I've run across so far seem a bit more amped up than before.

Would it have been so bad if they had kept the game in development for another year...

Multiplayer mod?!? Oh, noooooo...no, no, no...ugh. I guess that's why they're turning the thing into a shoot-em-up. :madatwall:

As for the game itself:

I was a little mystified that there's an entire culture of body replacement going on and no one seems to be in the least bit concerned about it. Cindy Lou (who?) bops on down to the ripperdoc (in his oh-so-hygienic storefront office) and has both her arms lopped off in favor of concealed retractable swords. Or sometimes when a head gets chopped off in a minor sidewalk scuffle (these things happen), instead of blood it's some kind of android fluid. And so on.

I guess what bothers me most is that the gameworld is *too* casual about it; the concept's old hat to everyone, might as well not worry about it since there are other things to worry about, etc.. So they design an otherwise ordinary large metropolis and hang a story (as such) on it. The story itself is straightforward enough, not a lot of meat to it. Pad it out with a couple of red herrings, a crapload of side missions, and hooray: a game!

If translated to the printed page, it'd be novella-length at best. Still, we've all played games with even less going on...but this could have been so much more.

Granted, V whines a *lot* over his/her inevitable loss of self, thanks to the insidious engram of Johnny Appleseed Silverhand. However, I never really felt that this was much of a problem, as V doesn't seem to have much of a personality in the first place. Just another hustling rube (as Hannibal Lecter put it) in search of personal glory.

I'm sure that there's plenty of angst to be found should I start poring over the nine million readables littered all over the city, but I'm too busy doing a bewildering number of side gigs for fixers. Then I'll wander back to the main questline, and most likely end up berated in some way by Johnny.

What would've made it a bit more digestible, for me, is a more...hmmm...exotic setting? Instead of a filthy humdrum (albeit impressively designed) urban setting, why not a massive space station? Or Mars?

...ah, I know: they've all been done already.  :ss-kickcan

Y'know, I've muttered before that I'm not really a "cyberpunk" kind of guy...I'd be happier with Steampunk 1877. I like the idea of someone in the bowels of CDPR's thinktank trying to figure out how to fit a person's psyche onto a recording medium that isn't the size of a small city...wait! I know:

Your cochlear implant, an ingeniously-miniaturized wax cylinder machine courtesy of Professor Randall Hunting-Bowles, is taken over by the introduction of a psyche-overwriting cylinder (containing the personality of reviled Confederate officer Col. W.S.T. Beauregard Lee, the scalawag who masterminded the blowing up of a northern supply train with a bomb that ended up irradiating most of New Hampshire) devised by the nefarious Doctor James Bundlethwaite-Lackstaff, aided by his femme fatale social secretary, the stunning Bunny Tokugawa, aka "Yellow Peril" (a racist nickname which also, as a scandalously ribald easter egg, refers to her chipped front tooth)!

...I don't think I would ever have the energy to parse that sentence.

Anyway, that might have been more interesting...at least to me. The voice of a Southern Gentleman, in true Foghorn Leghorn style, taking me to task for sundry illicit peccadillos? AWESOME.

[Upon telling a lie to a quest-giver] "I say, I say boy...this is mendacity! MENDACITY, I say! You disreputable rapscallion!"

[Whilst looking at an old poster promoting a social gathering] "While I do not recall exactly the details of that fine evening, I do remember that the ladies were genteel and...quite delectable!" [chuckles reminiscently]

I think it could work. Then again, I suffered a lot of head injuries in my youth, so I may be mistaken.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 11:08:03 PM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2021, 01:15:55 PM »
It would have been interesting if they'd made the game exceedingly difficult, then have body modifications essentially lower the difficulty the more of them you installed (i.e. run faster, jump higher, take less damage).  But on the flipside, the lower your humanity the more likely you are to frenzy, your dialogue options would change/reduce in number, NPCs would treat you differently, etc.  Your average player would have to balance the pros and cons, while the really hardcore players would see if they could beat the game without any modifications whatsoever.
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2021, 10:43:49 AM »
I like it! To make it evil (or course): in true 80's RPG fashion, unless the player installs a seemingly throwaway piece of software (Don't Shoot Me In The Head Bro! v2.0) early in the game and keeps it installed to the very end (requiring them to pass up other highly useful and far more powerful progs that use the same slot), then they cannot win the game's *true* ending.

And! If it isn't bought and installed the first time the player visits a ripperdoc, it disappears from the game and cannot be acquired for the rest of that profile's game.

Bonus: if the player chooses this no-mod philosophy...let's give it an offhand name...The Path Of Nirvana, and doesn't install the software...they may win, technically speaking, but they don't *really* win. However, if they do install the soft and go with Nirvana (compromising it only slightly), they get the secret ending and truly win the game. (Something about True Enlightenment being only attainable through wise compromise, or some navel-gazing crap like that.)

Waitaminit...I just realized: "Don't Shoot Me In The Head Bro! v2.0"...Nirvana...whoops. :ss-shootme

On a slightly less Cobain-y note (some shooting, but not self-inflicted), something odd happened yesterday that I found disturbing and/or amusing:

It was night, and I had parked my crotch rocket across the street from some 6th Street shithole (but, aren't they all?) because I had to go in there and save someone from a fate worse than White Trash death. So I stepped behind a nearby dumpster in preparation to unleash Contagion upon the lot of them.

It was then that I heard...water? Wait, that's...peeing. Someone's peeing. Someone behind me is peeing. Someone behind me is peeing on me.

I spun around and there's this bum, peeing. On me.

I don't handle such things well.

So after shooting the filthy bastard twice in the chest, I went back to ending a few 6th Street members' lives. A bit damp of trouser, perhaps, but at least I was entertained.

So kudos to CDPR for making such a funny tableau possible, but some retracted for making it a crime to execute him for his effrontery.

Speaking of massacres, I just realized that every time I played the "Stadium Love" mission, I failed it. The idea is to talk to the 6th Street guys having a rooftop party and enter into a shooting contest to win a gun. I'd always taken exception to their attitude and ended up killing them, which I believe fails the mission (I'd just never noticed that it was marked as a faliure). Well, whoopsy-doodle, right? Oh, well. C'est la vie.

And that's a funny thing about the dead in this game: the bodies of armed NPCs (bad guys and other hostiles) are marked by an X on your minimap (at least, until you completely loot their corpses). The bodies of "crowds" (bystanders, et al) are not. This I lament, as it would've made the aforementioned rooftop party massacre far more interesting on the minimap...

"Lookit all them Xs, Earl! You really killed the shit outta them assholes! You even killed all the chicks who were just shakin' their patooties!"
"You know what they say, Steve..."
"What's that, Earl?"
"All my Xs embrace both sexes."
"You're a clever man, Earl."

However, this post isn't ALL about being a complete psycho:

Restore Legendary Ping restores...you guessed it...Hunt's pudding in those little tin cans. No. I mean it restores being able to see hostiles through walls via Legendary Ping.

Cool Vs Don't Die From Explosions (aka Explosion Nerf) which makes explosions a bit more survivable. Apparently the game's code when calculating explosion damage is a bit weird (of course), and the author explains it in detail on the mod page.

So...yeah. Then again, having a small CHOOH tank blow your legs off might be a nice refresher after being pissed on by a bum.

everything