Author Topic: Random Crap 2021: The Downward Spiral Of Our Days  (Read 346 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Random Crap 2021: The Downward Spiral Of Our Days
« on: January 14, 2021, 11:44:07 PM »
So. A new year.

The biggest problem I had with 2020 wasn't all the horrible things that were going on in the world, but the sheer amount of pissing and moaning I had to see in my Facebook feed. An outbreak of the Chinese Death Sniffles and now we have to hear in excruciating detail from the women of America about how icky and poopy it is that they have to stay home all day long and drink gallons of wine.

First. World. Problems.

I hate Facebook. I rarely post there, and the only reason I have it is that before my dad died, he insisted that I register again so that I can keep up with my family's comings and goings. Huh. Well...

Hey, here's something you might not have known: in times of trouble, Facebook is the perfect way to tell which members of your family are complete assholes. I'm not saying that's the primary reason I want to get rid of it, but I'm also not saying that it isn't.

If that makes any sense.

In other news, the problem with being 46 and living alone like the social leper that I am is that no one gives a good goddamn what I got for Christmas, so no one ever asks. And I had the perfect answer for the question...but no one ever asked it. So I'll just create a scenario here:

THEM: Hey! What'd you get for Christmas?
ME: Uh...well, I broke a tooth on Christmas day, so...I guess I got screwed for Christmas.

See? BRILLIANT. But again, no one cares. So I sit here alone, wallowing in my bitter misery. On the bright side, at least I don't have a houseful of ingrates eating all my food and wasting my money on stupid shit like THEIR health care. Bastards.

I'd like to point out that, thanks to the necessity of both of my fence gates replaced/repaired, I dearly miss the days of chain link fences or even simple barbed wire...but I won't, because I still can't talk about it without needing to chew a handful of Tums.

Btw, for those of you who are getting a Stimulus Check this year -- you know who you are, probably -- here's a delightful DIY project that is entirely within your budget!

It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
Re: Random Crap 2021: The Downward Spiral Of Our Days
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 10:15:29 AM »
Trying to get my sensibilities (as such) back into the mindset necessary for Cyberpunk. See, I sort of went off on a tangent and ended up reliving Doom. And Doom 2. And a couple of megawads. And then Heretic. And Hexen. Right now I'm nearing the end of Hexen 2. And then I'll try to get the Praevus mission pack running. No guarantees, though; it's abandonware.

By the way, the word "guarantee" is one of those words I absolutely hate. When the Great Dumbing Down is finally in full effect, I hope that word is one of its many casualties. "Garunty" just feels...well, wrong, but so what. I won't have to use too many of my precious vowels to spell one damn word.

I won't be happy until we're so far past the grunting-and-pointing phase of our ongoing de-evolution that we're to the point of tongue-clicking and slapping.

A Domestic Example:

NU EENGLUSH: [clicks tongue twice]

STANDARD ENGLISH TRANSLATION: "Pass the salt, please."

NE: [clicks tongue twice, slaps kid in the back of the head]

TRANSLATION: "I said pass the salt, goddamnit."

Anyway.

After finishing with Hexen 2, I might just try something made, I don't know, IN THIS CENTURY.

I know I'm bored with Doom when I track down my custom .deh patch (nothing special, just increased ammo and firing rates). It means that I've lost all respect for the game at that moment and, as a result, am just screwing around. So I move on to the next thing. Like a locust.

Heretic: maybe this is an unpopular opinion. But I thought Heretic, while an interesting idea, turned out to be a boring pain in the ass. The first episode...the free part...was good, but the next two were so-so. The Serpent Riders expansion, which added two more episodes, was thoroughly unnecessary.

Plus, I hated most of the monsters in Heretic. They looked like crap then, and they didn't age well. Except for the disciple or whatever -- you know, the black-robed menace flying around and firing purple projectiles at you? -- which was my favorite. Years ago, some mad genius managed to port it over to Doom and ever since, I've had those instead of Cacodemons. (Sounds, too.)

No, it wasn't an impossible task; the games share the same engine and the same sprite-based animation, so I gather that apart from some minor adjustments (frames, color palette), it wasn't exactly witchcraft...

...although, I suspect that if you were to somehow transport a random person from 1500 (yes, A.D.) and showed them what you were doing, well...they'd be pretty freaked out. Mostly by the giant iron birds screaming overhead, the roar of traffic, and that incessant sub-aural hum that sets my nerves on edge. (Maybe that's just me.) But yeah, sure, he or she would think your magic box demonstration was sort of interesting. Mostly they'd be wondering why you weren't wearing any garments below the waist, not understanding your patient explanation that it's your version of a weekend religious observance.

And past Heretic, we have...

No one played Heretic 2.

...so on to Hexen. A bit more interesting than Heretic; more RPG-ish, with three character classes. These are limited to four unique weapons each, so pick the fate that appeals to you most: endlessly bludgeoning or zapping shit. The monsters are monotonously limited and the procedural progress is convoluted and maddening.

This is one of those games that I will swear that I've never played, but when I do play, I'm bewildered that I've actually been through it before.

(Therapy Idea: when times of trouble threaten, play Hexen. You won't remember any of this shit!)

And then there's Hexen 2. It starts out okay, but it gets more and more irritating as your progress. Quake with swords, is its essential summary. More complicated, perhaps, but I found that its atmosphere was not as oppressive as Quake's. I mean, sure, it's pretty damned bleak. But I always felt Quake was...well, unpleasant, to use a wholly inadequate adjective.

No, don't try to understand it. I can't really explain it at this moment, not when there's a couple of tacos left over from yesterday. What I've trying to say, in so many words (SO MANY words!) is that I'm hungry and I should go grab an early lunch and probably watch Tex Avery cartoons.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 12:56:45 PM »
Cyberpunk... this apparently is not a bug  :lol:

This particular weapon (yeah, it is a weapon -- iconic -- and once fully upgraded to the legendary quality it is arguably one of the best melee weapon in the game barely coming shy from the Black Unicorn which is the Katana you get if you own the Witcher 3). It even has a name "Sir John Phallustiff" -- there's possibly a reference in there that I don't get so if someone knows, enlighten me.

The thing is gifted by a certain Meredith Stout if you complete a certain very early main mission her way then respond positively to her message inviting you a bit later. I don't know if the thing is only available to male characters or to both genders my first female character having completely ignored the said person on my first playthrough.

The closest thing I can remember weapon-wise was something in Saint Row IV called the Rectifier or Rectificator or some such.

Oh and why do I play as a male now? Because the character I like the most in the game is straight so my female character was a no go which was a real shame.

Talking about Cyberpunk and sex, first-person certainly doesn't make for a great show. I mean, it is certainly great when *you* are the one involved in real life but not when you're just watching in a video game. It's singularly underwhelming.

As shocking as it may seem to you I never played any of the Hexen nor Heretic games. I think back then they were practically not even talked about in my corner of the world (at any rate certainly not to the same extent as Half-Life, DooM or even Thief and System Shock 2 -- those two were already pretty obscure).

OK so back to hitting people with my phallus. Don't worry it's non-lethal  :purplelaugh:

Forum Restriction Notice
Some of the content of this post is not visible for  Guests.
You must be logged in to view the full content.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 06:13:52 PM »
I remember when the Panicky Mommies Of America found out that there was an honest-to-Talos female NIPPLE on a skin texture in Oblivion -- a part of the texture, btw, which was always covered up -- and they absolutely lost their ever-lovin' minds.

Fast forward to gaming today. Now you...yes, you!...can beat the living shit out of someone with a weaponized dildo.

Progress!

On a side note, has anyone noticed that the CDPR guys may be a bit horny? Just something I noticed.

Anyway, if there's an ultimate reference to the name, I'm not aware of it. (I'm not aware of a lot of things, really. Just FYI.) Personally, I would have called it "Sir Richard Moby" and colored it chalk white. But perhaps that's just a bit too obscure...

I forgot about the Rectifier. Default silver, gold-plated, Saints purple... :ss-weird1

*grumble* Why are all of the hottest characters straight? So not fair. I guess it's your reward for playing a dude, but what about the lesbians in the audience? Why don't THEY get to choose? I'm only thinking of their feelings...CDPR, think of the poor lesbians forced into playing as men so they can pursue the romance of their dreams. A tragedy.

That line of reasoning always confuses and confounds me, so I'll just let this one trail off into nothingness...

Being a Disturbed Loner, "romance" (both metaphorical and not) in games is usually something I ignore, but POV sex is just ridiculous on so many levels. Many things spring to mind: "I don't buy it. That's not really me." "Does she know that at least half of her tattoos are misspelled? Should I tell her?" "Jesus, her forehead is ENORMOUS!" And so on.

Heretic and Hexen...not surprised, they weren't exactly AAA titles. You didn't miss much. Well...you missed a whole lot of crap. There is that.

I took yet another sidetrip and waded through Quake and its expansions again. If you're looking for a series of deafening explosions masquerading as "gameplay," I recommend revisiting Quake. Me? I think some things are best forgotten, left alone to slip away into a well-deserved and absolute obscurity.

While I played the hell out of Quake when it first came out, I have no use for it now.

I picked up Sunlust the other day -- it's a 2015 megawad for Doom 2 -- and it reminded me of just why I lost interest in Doom: slaughter maps. The maps are beautifully detailed and quite striking. However, there's nine million monsters thrown at you in every map. It's no wonder I moved on to HL and Thief.

So! Back to Cyberpunk.

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 08:35:43 AM »
Sir John Falstaff, a character who appeared in three of William Shakespeare's plays.
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 07:07:37 PM »
Thanks for the enlightenment Doc. As a matter of fact, as you can guess, Shakespeare is not really a required reading here -- we know quotes and parts but rarely read the whole books -- so I wouldn't have guessed. Now that you say "John Falstaff" that jiggles my memory but without you saying the name I would still be in the dark.

Not sure how dear William S would take the reference though  :lol:

And now for the trivia, CDPR included in the game friendly features so Youtubers could switch off things that are copyrighted (like some of the music) and material deemed offensive by Youtube (and God, that *is* a lot -- apparently historically discussing WWII concentration camps and war crimes also became offensive and politically incorrect... yeah, that's right, Google to History: "Screw you! You're no good for ads profitability!").

Anyway, I just watched an episode of the Lets' play by Gopher where he did the same mission and guess what, because of the "Youtube friendly" filter in the game, the rosy thing above just becomes a standard electric baton with a generic name... So sad.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 07:19:40 PM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 12:41:39 PM »
Shakespeare...of course.  :ss-facepalm

Thanks, Doc. As you can tell, I lean more towards Melville than the Bard. :ss-shootme

Although this *should* be embarrassing for someone who was an English Literature major in college, I'm not. Because, well, I hated English Literature. Couldn't stand it. While the coursework expected us to go into raptures over meanings and themes -- overarching, underlying, etc. -- in works by assorted long-deceased drug addicts given legendary status by virtue of their tendency towards sheer inscrutability with a writing implement, I found myself unimpressed by anything that didn't feature, at the bare minimum, an action-packed finale involving a Coast Guard helicopter crashing into a drug dealer's boat and exploding so violently that it blows the bikini off the hero's large-breasted love interest.

While everyone else was prattling on and on about The Great Gatsby, I was poring over Starship Troopers. Ah, well.

On a completely different note, I was thinking of starting a rumor that the Covid vaccine given to most people is merely distilled water; however, you can tell if you're given the *real* vaccine if you have a negative reaction and/or die. Is that just borderline crazy enough to get me on the local news? Because from there I can begin to push my real agenda: banning MSG in all its myriad forms from food everywhere. Sometimes I just want a chicken sandwich without the blinding headache, you know?

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 04:33:50 AM »
Mass Effect Legendary Edition -- $60.00 (I pissed myself laughing for a good five minutes there).

Mass Effect Legendary Edition rebate on Origin when you have the three original games in your account? -- 0%

Yeah, go Electronic Arts! Start the new year by screwing everyone in the most visible way. The price of the legendary edition is already plainly laughable. Take three 10 years old games, repackage them with features that were already designed by modders over the past ten years and sell them for the price of a new game (oh wait $59.99 -- just to make the point that EA marketing department is composed of a bunch of a**holes that still think that this kind of trick fools people).

And then, in spite of the normal practice in the industry regarding what is essentially a "remastered" edition (and yeah EA, stop pretending "Legendary" means anything else than "remastered" in this case) which is to offer the remaster either free (Skyrim SE), or with a substantial rebate to owners of the original versions, sell it to them full price, why not?

Will EA greed ever cease? I guess not. But at least that makes for a laugh  :purplelaugh:

Oh and, no I won't be buying thank you very much. I'm pretty happy with my three originals modified.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 11:21:09 PM »
Oh, and it gets better: Mass Effect DLC Missing From Remaster Due To Corrupted Source Code

That's right, they won't be including ME1's Pinnacle Station in their lazy cash grab repackaging. And while I was never a fan of Pinnacle Station and generally avoid it whenever I play ME1, it's something of a shame. Not enough to care all that much, but stilll.

Thinking about it: wasn't that a good way to grind up to level 60 without a new game? Seems so, but I may be wrong; going from 56 to 60 took a crapload of XP and...wait. Maybe it got you to, say, 58? And it just made getting to 60 easier. It's been a while. I don't remember exactly.

E/A's really knockin' 'em out of the park lately, eh? Re-reckoning, this thing... ::)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 02:11:24 AM »
Oh, and Mass Effect: Legendary Edition will cut back on the butt shots.

Intolerable. The butt shots were the only good thing about Miranda. This leads to the butterface aspect...the real-life actress -- her name escapes me at the moment and I don't really care -- is more or less presentable, but her videogame counterpart...yeef. She could eat corn through a picket fence. When she was a kid, her mama had to tie a dead rat around her neck just so the family dog would play with her. Her daddy called her "Miranda" because "Holy Shit That Kid's Ugly" didn't fit on the birth certificate.

You get the picture, I hope.

Okay, I've had my fun. To be honest, the butt shots always struck me as patently stupid. Reportedly, the Character Environment Director (yes, that's apparently a real thing) Kevin Meek thought so too, so they're changing things around a bit.

BioWare is taking steps to improve FemShep's animations in the upcoming remaster, "so that she's a bit more on par with male Shepard." That includes things like "subtle face changes or some wrinkles or support or whatever, so she's catching the light and the same kind of quality level," and in places where animations can't be changed, adjustments to the player's perspective are being made.

My real concern is if they'll make FemShep consistent across the trilogy. I know it's possible, as someone's already tweaked the ME1 and ME2 models so that they look like her ME3 version.

BioWare is leaning into Shepard's female side for the Legendary Edition in a way it never did with the original releases, which effectively treated the male character as the default in promo materials.

Good, since she was pretty much an afterthought.

Anyway, a very good article.

While I was wandering around the PC Gamer site, I stumbled across this one: BioWare is working with the modding community on Mass Effect: Legendary Edition compatibility. A gleam of hope there.

I guess we'll see how it all works out on May 14th.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 02:50:37 PM »
Ladies and gentlem--wait. Just the gents I guess, since we have no ladies left.

Anyway: have you ever seen something so stupid that you just had to have it? Of course you have. Thus...Doomicorn.

That sick feeling you have right now? No, it isn't pity. Nor is it embarrassment over my continued existence. It isn't even contempt. It's envy, goddammit. ENVY. Not pity...envy.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 08:34:00 AM »
The more I hear about the ME Legendary edition the less I am impressed. And I wasn't to begin with.

Regarding the issue of Miranda's ass... well, I'm not on any side. As I said in a number of occasions before, ass shots seemed to be the only redeeming feature of Miranda (but then I was never a big fan of the character in general and my male Shep always end up wit Tali anyway  :lol: ). In the end they can do whatever they want, I don't care, because this remaster is still too damn expensive and lacking pieces.

Pinnacle Station: well, the interest for me is that once you've beaten the thing, you can use Shepard's apartment and the smugglers communication and use the ludicrous amount of money you have to buy rare things, including colossus armor (which notably difficult to acquire normally, much harder than acquiring money anyway).

And seriously, who managed to put both Pegasus wings and a unicorn horn on the poor thing?  I am impressed. :purplelaugh:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 02:12:40 PM »
And he has a tail.

Doomicorn's ass is more...substantial...than Miranda's, and therefore better. Theoretically speaking.  :ss-thinking

However -- notice I didn't say "but" -- I give the edge to Miranda, who has had to overcome more difficult obstacles: that weird bucktoothed face and, worst of all, her personality. Compared to those hurdles, the armies of Hell are as nothing.

What is it with Bioware and screwing up virtual recreations of real people, anyway? Take the Allers woman from ME3: based on...someone else whose name escapes me...she looked fantastic in a dress, but her face...! Good grief.

Still, Epic's got something that might help: MetaHuman Creator. They look almost real...and I say "almost" because when they smile, it's obvious. Otherwise, it's a fantastic advance. Too bad E/A's too cheap to license that for the next ME game.

Anyway...yeah, Tali. Too bad she's straight...otherwise, my DykeShep would be all up in that. (To quote Queen Elizabeth.) No, she has to wait for Traynor in ME3 for it to be officially acknowledged. Until then it's playing with the stretched Smurfs...uh...asari, I mean. There's Kelly, but there's no Achievements involved.

The only thing I didn't like about Pinnacle Station's smuggler thing was that the results were totally random, so there was a lot of saving-reloading going on. But when you were rewarded with Colossus X in your ideal armor class? Bliss.

On a completely different note, have I ever mentioned how much I hate Winter?

They're projecting 10 to 15 inches of snow in the next few days. Don't get me wrong: I know that isn't a lot of snow. It's nothing compared to Minnesota, for example; other places have it much, much worse.

But I still hate it. Most of all, I hate the cold. If I could afford to live somewhere warmer, I would. But I'm stuck here in this miserable town in this miserable state. But you bunker up and survive somehow and then...Spring! And the misery of torrential rains and tornadoes! Yay! If you manage not to be murdered by swirling clouds of death from above, you'll be treated to Summer. And it's hot. Goddamned HOT. But you somehow avoid melting, only by the faint hope that Fall will be tolerable. And it is...for about three days. And then it gets as cold as an icicle up the ass and the neverending cycle of bitter misery continues.

So when someone asks me how I'm doing, I usually say "enh...okay." But know that the preceding paragraph is what I mean by "okay."

So anyway, I've been retro gaming, somewhat. I ran through Blood again, was stymied by the intransigence of Blood 2 (I think it worked okay on my Win 7 machine, but Win10? NO.), and I'm playing Duke3D again. And don't mistake "gaming" as playing through like a normal human being would: I'm cheating merrily, because I'm just not in the right state of physical and mental well-being to handle the dilemma of constant reloading.

I'll get back to Cyberpunk eventually. I swear. Really, I will. I guarantee it. :ss-spam

EDIT

Monday's Weather Update: it's sunny and beautiful. But the temp is 0. That's right, *zero*. (That's in Fahrenheit, kids. But it feels more like Celsius.) It is a slight improvement over the bracing -4 of this morning, but who the hell am I kidding.

A day shouldn't be so stunning and yet so cold. So very wrong. However, I don't think it would be better if the day looked as miserable as it felt. There is that.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 11:04:18 AM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2021, 09:30:41 PM »
Also, it got down to about -12 that week. A week or so later, it got up to around 75. Then it went back to the 40's. Fun times.

Anyway, I had never seen the John Wick movies, apart from a scene here and there from the first movie when I walked by the TV. So I thought I'd give 'em a whirl. For some reason, I still have a Netflix membership; they were less than helpful. (There are very few times where those assholes have what I'm looking for.) Amazon Prime had them streaming...for the low, low price of $12.99 each!

Fuck. You. Amazon.

I finally found a blu-ray/DVD combo pack of all three movies for under $20. So that ends that part of the story.

They were as good as I'd heard; the first was great, the second was great, and then the third...well. For me, it came to a screeching halt when Halle Berry showed up. How she managed to chew up so much scenery with her jaw clenched so tightly is something I'll admit is quite remarkable, but it does make every scene she's in excruciating. She's just not a very good actress.

Kelly Hu would've been a better choice. Or Ming-na!

And Ms. Berry got second billing. Ahead of Laurence Fishburne. Let that sink in: one of the baddest motherfuckers on the planet, and...

...no, I just have to let it go. I'm running low on antacids. But at least the movie went back to being great when her scenes were over. There is that.

And before I go, I'd like to ask The Media a question or two: when a man murders a bunch of Asian women and the media outlets can't quite decide on whether or not it can be considered a "hate" crime, then what, exactly, could it be called? The same with the Asian lady knifed to death recently; they don't think it was a hate crime. But...isn't murdering someone hate? Oh, well. Probably not.

These questions and many more next on As The World Burns: The Edge Of Extinction Edition.

On a different note, I got my second Pelosi Pittance check. I'll probably use that to pay some of my taxes. Not all. Some.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2021, 10:03:16 AM »
Brain Fart Morning: I thought they had cast Michael B. Jordan as *Jack Ryan* in Without Remorse, but no...he's playing John Clark. Not as weird; I mean, John Clark wasn't painted so vividly as Irish as Jack Ryan was, but it might take some getting used to. After all, he was a white guy in the previous two movies featuring the character, so why not? All I know is that I'm off to buy an air fryer and a box of corn dogs.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 10:11:34 AM by Silver Sorrow »