Author Topic: Random Crap 2021: The Downward Spiral Of Our Days  (Read 919 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Random Crap 2021: The Downward Spiral Of Our Days
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2021, 12:36:17 PM »
I...wait. Huh. I'm not really sure. People have said that the meaning of "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" was (at best) enigmatic, perhaps even (at worst) impenetrable, but I now suspect that Peter Gabriel may have been making a frustration-fueled observation about garlic permeating *everything*. In this case, the bodies of his character Rael's three Lamia lovers who had died after their lovemaking (or, a "menage a cuatro" as French-Mexicans call it), and which Rael subsequently consumed.

"I would be enjoying the blissful scent of chocolate right now," he seems to be implying through Rael's grief, "but what, did they BATHE in garlic??" Silent sorrow in empty boats, indeed.

I could speculate further that the garlic was what facilitated Rael's inevitable transformation into a slimy-lump covered slubberdegullion on squeaky feet (aka, a Slipperman), which required him to seek out Docter Dyper (reformed sniper) who then emasculated him. His penis was placed into a yellow plastic tube (for safekeeping, apparently)...and then stolen by a raven. Then: a chase scene, and a dive into some rapids to effect the daring rescue of his brother John...who turns out to be himself.

All because of the overuse of garlic. Remember, kids: moderation in all things.
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2021, 10:07:48 AM »
"What," I began reasonably, "the hell," I continued censored-ly, "is an aubergine?"

The amusing part here is that in fact "aubergine" is a French word that Brits steal from us when they want to do fancy cuisine :lol:

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2021, 12:13:11 PM »
And I had originally mistaken it for ambergris.  :hammerhead:

I've noticed that's something my brain does--takes a word or phrase and swaps it out for something similar.  For instance, somehow grok got turned into gronk sometime ago and I've been using it wrong ever since.  It's more fun with phrases, though, since I usually end up swapping only part of the expression.  Something like, "I don't have a dog in this fight," gets crossed with "I don't have a horse in this race," and comes out as "I don't have a dog in this race."
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2021, 09:59:34 AM »
The amusing part here is that in fact "aubergine" is a French word that Brits steal from us when they want to do fancy cuisine :lol:

Those wacky Brits. "Appropriating -- And Then Mispronouncing -- Your Language Since Time Immemorial!"

[For the sake of my relatively-genial mood this morning, I will not go into their pronunciation of "tacos" as "tay-cos." You're welcome.]

"Haricots verts" still bothers me. I bothers me a lot. I've learned to dampen my rage down to a kind of seething, poisonous hatred, but at least I haven't shot any TVs lately.

And here's my biggest problem with the pretentious terminology: the show was supposed to be about home cooks. Not people slaving away in a kitchen under the jaundiced eye of a rage-fueled madman, but a few people who were pretty good at salvaging Sunday's leftover chicken. But then they got all fancy and before you knew it, there were housewives crying their eyes out over technical gaffes that wouldn't even occur to most people.

For a generalized example, some poor woman from a tiny village in northern England might make a dessert, and Mary Berry -- who is otherwise probably the nicest person on the face of the Earth -- berates her (in a civilized way) that the puff pastry isn't fluffy enough. The woman gets a little depressed and a little teary-eyed but, being of sterner stock, carries on.

[American Equivalent: the home baker, a malignant narcissist (and possible full-blown psychotic) goes on a profanity-laden rant about how wrong the judge was, how much better she is than the other contestants, and how she's A Force To Be Reckoned With and they'd better watch out because she's gonna be somebody someday and then she'll crush them all like the bugs they are.]

See, when I hear the term "home cook," it brings to mind ordinary people who are just trying to make a good dinner for the snotty ingrates in his or her home. My mother, for example, who really didn't like to cook, but HAD to do so. She had a few go-to recipes that kept us alive over the years, but her enthusiasm for the task was dampened severely by picky eaters and variety-cravers. A sampling of comments:

"Lemon-pepper chicken again? Mannnn...can't we just call out for a pizza?" [Me.]

"Meatloaf again? This is the third time this month! Can't we have something different?" [My dad.]

"I'm so sick of tuna casserole. It sucks. Call out for a pizza!" [Her.]

In summary: a successful home cook prepares meals, using whatever's at hand, that are good enough to keep their families alive, but not so bad that they inspire mutiny.

And I had originally mistaken it for ambergris.  :hammerhead:

Whale puke...eggplant...same thing, really.  ;D

I've noticed that's something my brain does--takes a word or phrase and swaps it out for something similar.  For instance, somehow grok got turned into gronk sometime ago and I've been using it wrong ever since.  It's more fun with phrases, though, since I usually end up swapping only part of the expression.  Something like, "I don't have a dog in this fight," gets crossed with "I don't have a horse in this race," and comes out as "I don't have a dog in this race."

My, my. Early Onset Sorta-Malapropism, or EOSM, as it's called. Serious stuff. No cure is known, but it can be amusing.

For example:

EOSM Sufferer: Now that's a cat of a different color!

Victim: ...what??

EOSM: Uh... [realizing that their symptoms are flaring up and trying to cover] Yeah...look at it. That's definitely a calico, sure as I'm standing here."

Victim: [hits him with a folding metal chair]

My point? None, really; I just liked the idea of someone being whacked with a chair because of a cat.

...but really, yeah: I know what you mean.

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2021, 12:47:56 PM »
I've been down this rabbit hole before, but I think it's less malapropisms and more mixed metaphors.  The troublesome thing about them is that they're combining two different sayings that are generally valid for what you were trying to express.  So you'll realize something's off with what you said, but attempting to dissect it only confuses you further because each part is correct, just not the whole.
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2021, 10:33:57 AM »
One of my favorites:

We'll burn that bridge when we come to it!

Take a wonderfully mixed metaphor, run it through a translator, and then wonder why there are so many wars.  :ok:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2021, 03:58:38 PM »
Two things for today:

1. A personal confession: it is with deep shame that I admit this, but I cannot live this lie anymore. I know it may come as a great shock to those who know me, but it's true: I could never really tell the difference between Linda Ronstadt and Pat Benatar.

Yes, question? You, the unfortunate-looking lad with the thing on his face. Speak up, squirrel!

Q: What about Laura Branigan?

A: I hate you.

Which leads me to #2...

2. When a woman you went to high school with posts on Facebook that her daughter has just turned 18, it is completely inappropriate to ask her if the birthday girl has an OnlyFans. I realize this...now.

In my defense, I just wanted to send her a few birthday bucks, maybe see her birthday suit...you know, that sort of thing. But I guess I'M the bad guy here. Jeez.

everything