Author Topic: New Missions...Taffer!  (Read 100638 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: New Missions...Taffer!
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 02:57:22 PM »
I can probably find the entire series in a bargain bin somewhere and *still* have enough cash left over for the Special Edition Director's Cut version of "The Pacifier II: Riddick Kicks Ass In Suburbia".

You know, I bought the DVDs in direct import from the USA. You could think that I'm crazy but actually I paid 40% less than if I had bought them in France and they come with the additional footage and bonuses (both things that will never be on the Friends DVD sold in France)... Go figure.

As for the series going off one after the other, I know how you feel. It seems that the current sitcom production is not that great, huh? But you don't have to live with French sitcoms; That's the real Hell  :redhot: There's only one French sitcom I care about currently, it's called "Kaamelott" and it's a reworked version of king Arthur's legend. It has a Monty Python touch and it's completely crazy hence great. You would love it.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2006, 11:07:16 PM »
That's weird. I ran into sort of the same thing with Steve Hackett's CDs: instead of paying through the nose by buying them through Amazon, I can order them directly from his record company in England...they're a *little* more expensive (the US dollar is currently about as valuable as skunk mucus), but I usually get them within two weeks and sometimes they're even autographed. He's even remastered and reissued his first four albums with rare tracks and stuff, so it's a fine time for a Hackett geek-out.

But, uh...back to Friends. ;)  You know, to make the offer more attractive, they should put all the various cast members' papparazzi pics in the package...but make it evil: "Thank you for purchasing the season nine DVD set. By now, you may have noticed that the Jennifer Aniston pictures have all of the naughty bits neatly clipped out. But for an additional payment of $19.95 and your vow to buy the season ten pack..."

Kaamelott? Sounds interesting. Much better than watching people eat leeches crammed into a sausage casing, I say (I! HATE! FEAR! FACTOR!). I recall something similar a few years back...well, it was a comedy/action show set in medieval times, anyway. These things never last long. One of my favorites was a show called "Thanks," a six-episode summer doldrums sitcom set in the Pilgrims' time. Lots of good material there. (The youngest daughter kept ending up in the stocks, etc. "Look, father! My feet touch the ground now!" "My little girl's growing up!")

So I'm down to only a couple of shows now (Two and a Half Men, Out of Practice). I've been addicted to reruns of That 70's Show, for some reason. On the plus side, I'm saving a lot of money on tape...
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Nancy

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 05:11:50 PM »
 Silver.........if  you  can  get "  Snobs 2 "  working,  it  really  is  worth  it !!!

I  thought  I'd  play  " Snobs 1 "  first,  but  the  framerate, or  something ,  acted  up and  I  could  only get  part  way  through!!!

Snobs 2   is  a  lot  of  fun .........custom  AI (  so   different  from  the  usual  guards,  etc. ),  humour  everywhere  (  take  a

look  at  the  hip-action   at  the  Fitness  Club  ::) ) ,    and  be  careful!!!  when  you  take  food ,  you  have  to pay  for  it ( not

Garrett's  usual  style ). :purplelaugh:

Hope  you  get  it  running........ :)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 07:51:49 PM »
I'm still working on getting it running, but I've just about had it. I've tried just about everything (outside of uninstalling my video card and finding older drivers...just to run one mission), but it keeps crashing after the first stupid camvator mission, which was totally unnecessary.  I had a brief moment where I thought that it must've been a scripts problem -- and a great big hearty damn THANK YOU to telliamed for telling us how to install the script package in such great detail  ::) -- but it wasn't the tnh scripts. All of the other missions I've played have given me no problems whatsoever, but this one has. Conclusion? It's the mission's fault.

Into the "Later" bin it goes, and good riddance for now.  :mad1:
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2006, 09:40:46 PM »
Can you skip to next mission? Forget the keys, but....

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2006, 01:25:11 PM »
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+End, The Annoyed Thief's Friend. (That didn't need a rhyme, but I'm not charging anything for the service.)

I've since given up on this mission. I even went so far as to monkey with my vdeo drivers, but nothing works. If I have had no problems with other FMs, and I have problems with THIS mission, then it stands to reason that there's something screwy with it...or how it works with certain configurations/hardware/software/plushware/graniteware/etc.

Maybe later I'll deal with it, but for now? I'm messing with MW again.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2006, 01:03:43 PM »
Hooray! Something new!

For TDS...or Thief 3...whatever...we have Creature Clash 3 (19.5mb) by Dark Arrow. You know the drill: watch as the monsters fight each other. Pretty entertaining concept for those of us who like that sort of thing.

Ah, but for Thief 1/Gold we have an actual mission: Sepulchre Of The Sinistral (7.9mb) by Doaal, creator of the classic The Mystery Man. This is supposed to be a sequel, and...

...not to nitpick, but couldn't we do sequels in a retroactive way? Use T2 for your sequel and explain that...okay, never mind. Enjoy.

Offline John D.

• Professional Troll Killer
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2006, 06:05:01 PM »
I've just started playing SoS, I kind of like the retro T1 look-reminds me of the old days when I first explored Thief.
KILL EM ALL!!

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2006, 08:57:01 PM »
I'm enjoying a return to Thief myself, especially now that it runs...faster...than ever before. Who needs speed potions anymore?  ;D

Anyway, this is something. Bonehoard-ish, puzzles...yay. It's certainly welcome after the disappointment of Creature Clash 3. Nothing wrong with the concept or the mission itself, but TDS' object-targeting thingamawhatsit is so clunky that the precise selecting of objects is nearly impossible. Example: four buttons close together...outcome? Not good.

Still, I should've known. Every time I come back to TDS, I am reminded how awful some things are. Upon loading, I took one step forward and *lurched* to the left. Damn thing. Burn in Hell, Spector! ;)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2006, 08:24:35 AM »
Forgotten Forest 2 (20mb) by Timon has been translated to English. Go get it! Unless you don't have Thief 2!

Offline Nancy

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2006, 06:37:47 PM »
 But  Silver,  I  value  your  personal  ratings.   They  let  me  know  whether  I  should  d'load  and  play.......or  not. :-\

I  hope  you'll   include  your  ratings  in  this  thread............ :)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2006, 07:14:37 PM »
But of course I'll keep including ratings here! I am nothing if not critical.  ;D

I could add a note for the missions that are really good, though...it's subjective really, but I'm not like people on other forums who go into seven varieties of ecstasy whenever some lame-ass mission is released.  :hammerhead:

Wait...I should let the smileys be my friends! That could work...

Sorry, just thinking in text again. I'll make some changes, since a 20mb download -- for example -- is nothing to sneeze at for some.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2006, 08:31:18 PM »
Forgotten Forest 2 (20mb) by Timon has been translated to English.

It's okay. I tried with just the Polish version, and I had a pretty good idea of what was going on, but came upon some deadends, missing keys, etc. So I never finished -- probably 3/4ths thru. Quit making the hidden switches so darn small!!  :mad1:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2006, 12:36:46 PM »
I finished that last night...despite the Tiny! Little! Switches! Everywhere! that plagues many FMs... Key hunt, switch hunt, Haunt hunt...well. If someone wants a mission with a similar theme but better, they should try The Inverted Manse for starters.

~`~`~`~`~

A new one! Again!

If you like FMs with humongous names, then the Thief 1/Gold mission, Heaven in the Garden of Stones - The Haunted Church (6.7mb) by BG Taffer (Svetlio), might be what you're looking for.

He also did The Dark Temple, so I'm hesitant...

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2006, 06:33:03 PM »
Okay...the last FM, the one with all the adjectives and stuff in the title, didn't turn out to be the spiritual successor to Return To The Cathedral. Go figure.

~`~`~`~`~

Holy menopausal mustache, Batman! It's a new T2 FM!

Treason & Plot (1.5mb) by Nick Dablin.