Author Topic: Mass Effect: The Repackaging  (Read 118 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: Mass Effect: The Repackaging
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2021, 06:03:22 AM »
I once got my Shepard to look almost like Tia Carrere

Still have the save? I'm a big fan  :lol:

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2021, 02:35:03 AM »
Sadly...after much digging, I don't have any proof whatsoever. I found the notebook where I had recorded all of my tweaks, etc. (to an observer, this extensive documentation may have looked obsessive, but rest assured: it really was), but I found nothing whatsoever in the way of Tia-ness. It's a shame, as she would make a good Shepard. Both in-game and movie-wise, as she remains awesome to this very day.

Ah, well. Sorry about that. I had hoped, myself.  :ss-kickcan

I guess you could approximate the idea of Tia somewhat, you just need a strong chin and jawline, epic cheekbones, those lips, and let's not forget the eyebrows...

"Someone up there needs my boot up his ass."

Other stuff (ME2):

- The armory's contents do not change depending on character, as far as I can tell. My soldier build had the same stuff as the infiltrator.

- Is the point of the Recon Hood to hide your face from yourself? The Illusive Man's e-mail mentions that you may not want to show your face sometimes, but regardless...people know who you are anyway.

- Editing stuff will not be as easy as I had thought. The config files, even though they have the things you may want to change, revert back to whatever the game wants. So I think you may have to edit a file named Coalesced_INT.bin, which has everything you may want to edit, but...

"...but?," you ask?

...but it seems to require a tool to unpack. Then you can make your edits, and repack it.

For God's sake, Bioware.  :madatwall:

I'll look more into this later, depending on how bored I get this weekend.

- Miranda's face is quite unpleasant.

- Lighting is weird. The initial stages -- the escape from the lab, the "safehouse" (as I call it) -- were overbright as I knew it would be, but when I got to Omega the lighting was quite a bit darker than I had expected. I vaguely remember spending too much time trying to find a happy medium in the original game, and it looks like I'm in for a new round of fun. ::)

(This is like another mini-game, really: "screw with settings until you're either happy -- unlikely -- or homocidally insane!")

- Speaking of worthless nonsense, the mini-games. Still there, still annoying. I was a little surprised, as the first couple of containers in the lab escape were unlocked and simply yielded up credits. But then, near the end of the level, the safe had that damned memory-match game. Still haven't run into the find-the-code-fragments game, so...hope springs eternal, and all that crap.

- While I'm slogging my way through this thing -- I've played these games nine million times each already; I may be a little sick of them -- I've also installed the original games. Why? Because there's something wrong with me, that's why. Still, it does help to point out little niggling details that mean absolutely nothing to anyone...which is exactly what I'm all about as a human being.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 02:43:02 AM by Silver Sorrow »
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 01:26:36 AM »
I don't think they actually fixed any bugs in ME2. In the old game, there was a serious text screwup in the codex entry for the turians' government that's still there:

No one proofread the codex, I guess.

Also...your facial scars. Chakwas emails you after...I think it's after you recruit Mordin...telling you that you can heal your scars. I was a bit confused when I visited the medbay and found nothing there to help me (although I did take the opportunity to give the good doctor a bottle of brandy and we proceeded to get totally fershnickered). So, acting upon a hunch (think: a feeling of resigned dread), I wandered into Mordin's lab and checked the research terminal. Sure enough, the healing of Shepard's scars is considered a "ship enhancement" and costs 50,000 platinum to research.

They really want me to hold onto those damned scars for a while.

Some of the items they gave away for free in the various DLCs are now unlockable through research too. Things like the Collector armor and rifle. That sort of thing. I don't really care about some of that crap, but if I suppose if I were on a completist binge, then my next step would be to stripmine every planet in the Terminus systems, just to unlock an ugly set of insectoid armor that I'll never use. ::)

Anyway.

I've only been to the various vendors in the Omega market so far (I want to recruit Garr--uh, "Archangel" -- before heading to the Citadel and looking at those shops), but they each have some of the armors that were available for free via DLC. Not too expensive (15,000 or so for the Dragon Armor, but that's with the discount I sweet-talked Marsh into giving me), but still...you can't remove the helmets on those special kinds of armor, so why bother?

The upgrades that were there in the old game, but the prices are still batshit. 75,000 for an upgrade? Insane then, insane now.

Oh, and I ran into the code-hack mini-game. Still a stupid waste of time.

I don't really like the idea of mini-games anyway (as if I hadn't implied that before now); but what better way to bring the player's exploration to a screeching halt than to force them to engage in a pointless puzzle?

I mean, really:

You need to open this door. Memory-match a few nodes. Voila, the door is open!

Um...what? You might as well make the player clear a couple of boards in a Ms. Pac-Man ripoff to...to...

...say, that isn't a bad idea, really. It certainly sounds more interesting than what they have now.

Ah, whatever. I'll be back to bitch and moan some more later.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 11:07:20 PM »
There's a small junebug flitting about my Rectangle Of Resignation. It's June, so I guess that works. And when I say "flitting," I mean "bumping into shit." Stupid junebugs.

Anyway...

- Ah, unskippable cutscenes. How I've not missed you.

- The shops are alive with the spoils of DLC. That's how they pad out their inventories. Too bad they couldn't have added more stuff, such as asari commando armor, or something. (You can get that, but it requires screwing with coalesced.)

- I have nothing more to add at the moment. Yeah...go on and engage in a chorus or two of hallelujahs.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #19 on: Today at 01:48:22 AM »
My fish died already. The ceremonial "burial at sea" was poignant, although to save time I just flushed 'em all at the same time. The resulting clog was massive, but beautiful.

everything