Author Topic: Enderal SE is available  (Read 109 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Enderal SE is available
« on: June 03, 2021, 09:39:41 AM »
I'm making a quick announcement here because the Special Edition version of Enderal has been available since the beginning of April but weirdly enough nobody seems to really care (despite the fact that when it was not available everybody was like "we want a SE version badly").

Anyway... Same deal than the non SE version of Enderal (the "olderal" I guess we'll call it now). The version on Steam is standalone and free but you're still required to own a copy of Skyrim SE, obviously, Enderal still being a "mod".

I started a new campaign myself and I'm eager to see if the problems of the 32bits version are now gone. So far so good but then I'm on the starting beach so not a lot could go wrong  :lol: The sound seem much better.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
Re: Enderal SE is available
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 05:31:17 AM »
Oh no being dragged back into Skyrim (relatively speaking) nooooooooo...

I don't think I knew about this (or I may have...my head is a sieve), but I'll give it a whirl. I played through some of the non-SE version (I think I finished the original mod version? I can't remember), but I was never really all that enthralled by it. But since I'm just about Mass Effect-ed out at the moment, this is as good a time as any to try it out.

...oh, and there are plenty of mods at the Nexus site for the special edition, so if anyone has issues with gameplay, not-fixed bugs, not enough pretty faces, etc., you can probably find a mod for it.

Oh no being dragged back into mods nooooooooo...
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 12:12:08 PM »
So... the good, the bad, and the ugly...

Undeniably, the engine switch did wonder for the game stability. In 30 hours I had just one crash and I'm not even sure that it's the game the culprit rather than one of the mods I use. The cells loads super quick, much quicker than Enderal 32bits. Those are possibly the biggest positive impacts on the game.

The image quality is a mix bag. There was a change in lighting (ENB) and the foliage is considerably enhanced, thanks to Skyrim SE. Textures themselves... well I don't really see a difference. The original Enderal was already pushing textures to the limit of the 32 bits engine and maybe they were upgraded for the SE version but if they were I don't really see a difference.

Unfortunately, the ambient sound bug is still there; you know the one, or maybe not, it happens when some of the ambient sound continue to follow you around even though you are far from the area where they are supposed to occur. For example a persistent wind or rushing water sound; sometime they still remain even when you change cell. I was thinking that it was due to a limitation of the old 32bits engine. unfortunately, the exact same bug occurs in the exact same way at the exact same locations in Enderal SE so this is definitely a bug in sound design with the mod. And the solution when that happens is to quicksave and quickload. A shame... It doesn't happen everywhere (there are a few locations where it does systematically happen -- between Fogville and the Crystal Forest for example) but when it happens it gets really annoying, really quick. I wish they would have fixed that for the occasion.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 10:13:52 AM »
So I finished the SE version. 100 hours of play with exactly 2 crashes. That's a real improvement. No stutter of any kind even in the areas where the original was lagging on high-end computers.

Unfortunately that doesn't come without a tradeoff. it's not even the fault of SureAI there. It's just that moving from the 32 bits engine to the 64 bits one, the game sadly inherited of the stupid followers AI that is in Skyrim SE, Skyrim SE having inherited that from Fallout 4. So yeah, now you have followers that spend 90% of their time with their nose stupidly stuck in your ass (especially when you sneak), blocking the doors you want to go through, occasionally bumping into you so you fall from a ledge, and generally being a real annoyance (I still want to kill all the Fallout 4 companions when I play the game).

This behavior never occurred in Skyrim. there's something Bethesda did to Fallout 4 that was ported to Skyrim SE and render the friendly AI unbelievably stupid. Unfortunately that stupidity extends to all the followers mods developed for Skyrim SE and, of course, to Enderal as well.

Doesn't really matter if you play Enderal with anything other than a Phasmalist build but if you play a Phasmalist -- which I was in my game; a person collecting souls, to create talismans and summon minions -- you rapidly discover the same AI stupidity.

That and the sadly still occasionally screwed up ambient audio are the only major problems I've found with Enderal SE. Otherwise the game runs superbly.

Still very Mass Effect-y in essence but.. oh well.

everything