Author Topic: Somewhat Random Absurdity  (Read 199 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Somewhat Random Absurdity
« on: August 07, 2021, 06:04:03 PM »
[Not to be confused with my Random Crap -- or whatever I've named it this year -- thread, as this thread is aimed at games' miscellany and NOT at life's disheartening vicissitudes.]

At the moment...that is, for the last couple of months...I'm slowly slogging my way through the entire Mass Effect trilogy. The original, I mean, not the Legendary repackaging. It's taking me so long for various reasons, none of them sane. But I've finally made it near the end of ME3, and I'm really not sure that I've spent my time wisely. In fact, I know I haven't. But what else is there to do?

Anyway, I guess this first post is a visual record, of sorts, of how my Shepard changed across the series. While Legendary strives to make them conform to a visual standard (ME3's), the pre-LE had very little in the way of such a standard. The Shepard Consistency mod is the obvious exception, but that dealt only with the default headmorph and not custom Shepards.

Still, the modders tried, and you can still get a good-looking SheShep (which I like better than "FemShep"...but I digress), but you gotta install a few mods first. ALOT goes far to help make the process somewhat painless. No more TexMod, which is far more important than anything NASA's doing at the moment, I say.

So...pictures.

Starting off, the ME1 version.

I tinkered with her eye color (black) and eye shadow (ditto), in the new Trilogy editor. This is the base look of the whole thing.

Now for the ME2 version.

The basic shape is there...

...but I decided that, as an Infiltrator, she needed a "darker" look...so I gave her dark lips and changed her eyes/eyeshadow accordingly. This time with Gibbed's savegame tool, as I find it's a bit more familiar than the Trilogy tool. Thus:

Yay.

And here's a gratuitous shot of Miranda's sweet bumper.

You're welcome.

Oh, and on a side note: someone made a mod for LE that puts the butt shots back in the game. Bless these, the little perverts, O Lord.

And now for ME3.

I've had to tweak the eyes with each game. I use the last eye setting, and it's something of a problem in ME2. Not so bad in ME1, but I had to adjust in 2 for they got all googly and clippy. Those are purely technical terms, I'll have you know. (I think Ashley may use the same eye setting, which explains why, on Horizon, she looked cross-eyed and insane. There may be other reasons not related to wonky facegen, but that's the one I'm using.)

But ME3 does a better job with the eyes and I could restore, with some minor judicious alterations, her original values. More or less. On the upside, ME3's new eye colors have a totally black iris, which meant I didn't have to futz around with values in an editor.

Also, I could finally use custom hair, thanks to a multitude of altruists.

But there was a problem. Visiting Javik's room on the Normandy revealed an issue with hair transparency and the environment.

I've known about this issue with custom hair for a long time now, but it's still annoying. On the bright side, I can tell what she'd look like bald.

Not too bad, though. Just don't go visit Javik, I guess.

And now for another look at Miranda's back door.

Again: you're welcome. But seriously: in real life, how excruciatingly tight would that jumpsuit have to be in order to clearly define what's on display here?

And now...

Actually, no. This was going to be a celebration of perfect breasts in ME3 but it's too crass, even for me.

With the end of ME3 approaching, I've been considering what the bloody hell I'm going to do with my time next. Maybe KOA Re-Reckoning? Maybe another VTMB spin? Perhaps even an attempt to return to The Outer Worlds and finish the thing? The mind boggles at the possibilities, but there is also the option of just staring into space.
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
Re: Somewhat Random Absurdity
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 10:19:44 PM »
Keep gettin' these consarned "masquerade violations" or some such nonsense. I wonder why?

You'd tell me if I was evil, right?

In addition to idly fumbling with VTMB, I installed...then uninstalled...KOA Re-Reckoning because, well, its tendency to lock up on exit -- something which has never been fixed, and probably never will -- is somewhat frustrating. I reinstalled the original, which is just as good. Mostly.

That's all I have energy for at the moment.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 11:17:10 AM »
So I was messing around with VTMB the other day...

Notes? Notes:

Armor #1: I wanted something...well, mad. As a fan of color and (to a somewhat lesser extent) picturesque atmospheric phenomena, I resent that the rainbow has been co-opted as a symbol, and as such, now represents something. I'm not saying that I take one side or another; I'm saying that I deplore the idea that, in depicting a rainbow, it's automatically assumed that I embrace certain philosophies.

So I'm dismissing the notion that a rainbow outfit represents anything here, other than that only a lunatic would wear something so bright in a setting so dangerous.

...and I'm still wondering if I should attempt rainbow-striped knee socks or simply LET IT GO and call it "finished." Sadly, I've never been good at that.

I'd also consider light, breezy pastels as a good alternative. I know: I might need therapy, or something.

Armor #2: I like the Malkavian skirt concept. It fits, really. So instead of the cowgirl (with that dumb hat), I made armor #2 a variation on the skirt-based outfit.

I adapted this from another mod. Really, they've ALL been adapted from other mods, as I am not -- as I have insisted often enough -- a texture artist or modeler. But I think Greywaste was the original artist on this one? I'd have to look it up and my leg's been giving me shit the last couple of days so to hell with it for now.

I think it makes a nice "heavy cloth" outfit.

Armor #3: I never liked the cop outfit. No matter how I tweaked the color or messed with the legs, it never felt right. So why not throw in another skirt? This time, it's a goth-y "light leather" affair. Looks like something Pauley Perrette might wear, perhaps.

Armor #4: Just a darkened original, with the various other enhancements (face, hair, skin tone, eye color) to make it look different. Oh, and the model comes from a mod that removed the welding goggles. I'm still undecided on whether or not I should just use another skirt variation to replace it, though.

Summary: I have way too much time on my hands.

EDIT: I was wondering why the skin tones between the first two armors are different, but then I remembered that I was trying out an ENB when I took the other shots. The rainbow outfit shot was taken *after* I had removed the ENB; it was a little too saturated for my taste. I shudder to think how vibrant those stripes would be had I kept it...

EDIT #2: Just an observation concerning my existence and various endeavors: that's a lot of words for something that means so very little.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 11:29:28 AM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 07:30:17 AM »
The rainbow kneesocks were a bit much.

Just FYI.

EDIT: It was Darkstone who made the original #2 texture, not Greywaste. Aren't you glad I cleared that up? Christ, I'm out of candy corn...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 09:35:21 AM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 11:14:16 AM »
These things bug me. So I'm gonna bug YOU.

Armor #1...or Armor0 in the game files...needed a bit of tweaking. So I gave her bare legs.

But wait! It didn't end there, oh nosireebobcatgoldthwait!

I thought I'd give her the tiny little thong from Darkstone's mod...you know, because I could. Sorta. I sorta could. I almost can't.

Never mind.

Anyway, this required a bit of color-matching and pixel manipulation, and for the love of all that was holy I could not figure out what hue values I used originally. So I kind of guessed. I don't think I got it exactly right. This led to a heartbreaking color mismatch between the neck and the head...

So instead of scrapping my work and committing ritual seppuku (not because of the texture, but...you know, just something to do), I borrowed the choker from the goth-y outfit.

While I like it better now, there is a problem with her legs. To point this out, I'll have to travel up under her skirt...

As you can see, a devastating seam has occurred on her legs. I think I can fix it (I may just give her fishnets? Hmmm...), I but I'm not sanguine about the whole thing. I'll manage somehow.  ::)

And then there was armor #2. I applied the thong and the other crap, etc. etc., and the seams aren't all that bad here. I also gave her the choker, which goes well with this one.

Now it's time to order lunch. Y'see kids, I do more before 11am than most people do after being shot in the neck with a powerful horse tranquilizer.

...I'll let you sort that one out yourselves. :realconfused:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 01:50:08 AM »
So of course I decided to revert back to the original texture, remove the weird raven crotch tattoo, remove the bat tramp stamp, futz with the thong, and somehow...somehow...give her bare legs that didn't have a very noticeable seam.

And those legs were as bright as a glowstick. :madatwall:

Plan B: jury-rig some sort of fishnet effect.

Back up her skirt. This is for SCIENCE, dammit!

Yaaaaaaay. I think. Who cares?

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 07:21:56 AM »
So basically, at this point, your plan involves putting a band aid on everything that doesn't work/match etc.

Works for me. We (frenchy frogs) do a  lot of that too  :lol:

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 03:35:51 PM »
Yup...it's how I've always worked. :ok:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 12:27:14 AM »
Cyberpunk. AGAIN.

The October Of My V's Humiliation: The Fashion Circus That Is Cyberpunk 2077

...but she breaks just like a little girl...

Hot pants! They're gettin' so hot...we might have to take 'em off.

"All right assholes" -- she says -- "I've had enough of this shit!" So on her behalf, I get to digging. After a bit of effort, I'm rewarded with a look that isn't exactly what I wanted, but it's close enough to just go with.

Try putting me in hot pants again and we'll see what happens.

Various shots (couldn't decide on just one, as usual):

Cover your crotch...

...or cover your ass?

Get back, Jojo.

These action shots leave a lot to be desired, but...oh, well. Whatever.

I should point out that the plain black helmet might not be what the mod's intent was? I don't know. I just stumbled across a combination of elements that resulted in an understated (that is: NOT NEON PINK BULLSHIT) fashion. Anyway, I think what I have here is the stripped-down version of Oda's helmet.

This is the version with Oda's helmet:

Grrr.

Angry helmet is angry.

How this came to be:

Arasaka Black Ops Armor (I'm using only a couple of the elements available)

Arasaka Cyberarms (Batman Black option)

Modular Netrunner Headset For Male And Fem V (the sunglasses/cyberwear set)

Clothing Color Variants (the Yoros...the pants, that is)

Ninja Boots Multicolor (the Black Red option)

The Netrunner suit is just vanilla I believe (no new textures), called "Military-Grade Aramid Netrunning Suit."

My V herself has a couple of cosmetic mods on display, but those are irrelevant here.

The Black Ops Armor requires the Arasaka Cyberarms mod, just to get the look the author intended; the armor renders any long-sleeved inner torso item sleeveless. So even if you're wearing a netrunner suit, she'll be bare-armed. So the Cyberarms mod has an option that makes them as V's default arm/hand textures, meaning you don't NEED to install the cyberwear. Very useful!

Ah, well. Anyway. I know this is all really, REALLY pathetic...but at least it's honest patheticness.  :ss-meh
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 12:36:10 AM by Silver Sorrow »

everything