Author Topic: Somewhat Random Absurdity  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
Re: Somewhat Random Absurdity
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2022, 04:18:10 PM »
I was hoping Yahtzee would have an interesting opinion on Elden Ring but apparently he's a fanboy. So much for that, then.  ::)
Honestly, Silver, if you're inclined to give any Soulsborne a try, I'd actually recommend Sekiro.  Stealth is a more significant factor than in the others, the jump and grappling hook grant a greater freedom of movement, and there's a second chance ability that helps mitigate the notorious difficulty FromSoftware's known for.  Apparently, it was originally conceived as a new Tenchu game, which should tell you a lot.  The only reason I passed on it myself was that I've just never been big on feudal Japan as a setting, but I have a feeling you'd be more open to it than I.

Edit for obligatory SteathGamerBR demonstration.

"Call me Alhazrad. Some strange aeons ago -- never mind how many precisely -- having little to no sanity left in my possession, and nothing particular to interest me in this drab, mundane existence, I thought I would sail about a little and see the eldritch watery parts of the world..."
I like it.  Reminds me of how A Study in Emerald takes the Sherlock Holmes story A Study in Scarlet and gives it a Lovecraftian twist.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 05:46:22 PM by Doc_Brown »
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2022, 10:52:12 AM »
Sekiro, eh? I've seen it, but never tried it. It doesn't look like something I would pick out myself, but I'll give it a shot. Don't be disappointed though if I come back and say "naaaaah."  :lol:

That video, though...wow. I wonder how long it took that guy to plan all that out?

"DaAy 12..p,p..stIll getynig asss kikeD bY meunstarssz lil teeenzy tinsy meeces liVe inn mah porez..."

Melville...Doyle...can't wait for Milne's Winnie The Pooh Meets The Black Goat Of A Thousand Young In The Hundred Acre Wood.

Okay, kids...time's up! Here are the correct answers to the Discussion Questions!

1. No. But "All my grandbabies will be adopted from China!" is.
2. Who cares?
3. That really wasn't a question.
4. I absolutely hate Mother's Day. No reason. It's not like I miss my mom, or anything. Nope. Not a bit. Stop looking at me. Go 'way.
5. I hope not. You don't want me cooking your food.
6. Have you ever heard of the FBI, Captain Oveur?

That's it for today, kiddos. For those of you who still have moms, happy Mother's Day. For the rest of us, there's always rum.

And don't forget the Word of the Day...BOOGER!

boogerboogerboogerboogerboogerboogerboogerboogerboogerboogerboogerboogerboogerboogerbooger
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2022, 02:53:03 PM »
Don't be disappointed though if I come back and say "naaaaah."  :lol:
I'm in the same boat.  Due to my love of all things Lovecraftian, I figure Bloodborne's my best chance at liking a FromSoft game.  If I take to it, I might then be open to something like Dark Souls III, but if I don't it could turn me off from the entire Soulsborne catalogue...

That video, though...wow. I wonder how long it took that guy to plan all that out?
It's kind of what he does.  So much so that they officially partnered with him to advertise Dishonored: Death of the Outsider.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2022, 12:39:14 PM »
My favorite part of the whole experience is that everyone is pretending that boss fights in these games aren't just aggressive versions of Yellowbeard's stagger-stagger-roll-stagger-crawl bit.

roll...roll...shoot...roll... ow!...roll...shoot...which button was that special attack again?...oh, hell's bells...load last checkpoint...

Anyway, good for him; it's so hard to find one's niche these days. But if he wants a real challenge, he should try stealthing Doom with 100% kills. And I won't say it's impossible because god knows there's some chucklehead out there who's done exactly that. ::)

Absolutely irrelevant side note: this is my entire creative process in a nutshell.

:tongue2: :explodebouncy: :partying: Hey, kids! It's time for MORE CYBERPUNK CRAP! Yaaaaaay! :partying: :coolparty: :dumped:

Okay, here's the deal: I'm not going crazy, I'm already there! No, wait. I mean...

Uh-huh. So! A list of things I've noticed thus far.

- Fidgeting V in chargen. What's the point of the fidgeting? When I change a mouth value, I kind of expect to see the result immediately, instead of waiting for V to put his/her goddamn hand down first. And this is after each change. Moronic.

- Less shit strewn all over the place. That means a lot less consumables and other inconsequential garbage cluttering up the scenery. This also includes fewer containers with random junk inside. I must say that I'm disappointed that they took away the joy of finding a purple plastic cowboy hat in a crate just sitting in the middle of a room for no reason.

- Lizzie's bar is a little more...sparkly. That is, the light show is more impressive. Or maybe it always was. Again: I wouldn't notice the obvious if it fell out of the sky, landed on my face, and started to wiggle.

- Traffic doesn't seem as psychotic.

- I wasn't harassed by a call from whatsername...uh...ol' one-eye...when I got near the market across from the netrunner in T-Bug's quest. And there wasn't a ton of Tyger Claws hanging around the place, either.

- Speaking of those guys, i crossed the street and stumbled upon three of them hanging out. One of them barked a warning at me and i didn't linger, but they didn't aggro out on me when I turned around to look at them. Weird, huh? That NPC factions aren't hair-triggered?

- Happy: able to skip the tutorial BD, in a way. (You still see the BD, but you don't get all the instructions that go with the experience.) That was a pain in the ass. Of course, I think anything involving Judy is a complete pain in the ass, so the less I had to deal with her, the better.

- On a side note, why did the devs feel the need to go out of their way to try and convince me that Evelyn Parker is someone I should give a bleeding crap about? I just find her boring and grating.

- On another side note: why is it that one of the few NPCs that are actually interesting, Jackie, is killed off? Why couldn't I have used Judy as a meat shield instead?

Oh, well.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2022, 07:36:52 PM »
Things you probably didn't noticed but I have (because of difference of interest maybe  :lol:):

-- If you load a game from a pre-patch 1.5 save with the patch 1.5, all your perks are reset. Pain in the ass because you have to recall all the perks you previously had (perks are reset because some perks disappeared -- like the ability to not be affected by enemy's hacks, which was a very high level ability but nice to have) -- and other where "adjusted".

-- They nerfed netrunner abilities... again. They already did in patch 1.3, they did it again. For example, the ultimate "ping" hack that previously allowed to quickhack both equipments and persons through walls now only work on equipments. Why? Mystery, because in this game, equipments and persons are alike. If you can hack one you should be able to hack the other.

-- Now, cloaking is available at your friendly local cyberware merchant. Thing is, cloaking mod is something that was verbally mentioned in the original release of the game but couldn't be found anywhere. Well, glad they rectified that little omission. Not that it is really needed (15 sec of cloak with 45 sec of cooldown -- for the legendary version of the mod -- is more of an emergency backup than a real plan).

Point is, when you still feel the need to adjust the gameplay in a dramatic fashion more than a year after the initial release of the game, it's because something went horribly wrong. Gameplay is something that should be entirely figured out during development, gameplay balance at the end of the development cycle. They "adjusted" Cyberpunk gameplay in every major patch since the initial release. Like if we needed more proof that the game release was that rushed... Either that or they're adjusting the gameplay to be in line with their upcoming multiplayer thingamagic... which I really couldn't care less about.

We still don't know what the single player DLC will be about. I shudder to imagine...

On a side note, I'm not particularly impressed wit Ray Tracing, except maybe for one thing (supposing it is linked to Ray Tracing which I have no idea) the fog at night is very realistic.The gloomy street lights diffused by the fog, very nicely done (anyone having driven at night through a fog can appreciate). Either the fog is new in this game or it's a RTX thing that I didn't have before because I didn't have a RTX card (or maybe there was fog before but it was so crappy I actually didn't notice... ever, before now).

« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 07:44:49 PM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2022, 11:49:31 PM »
Anyway, good for him; it's so hard to find one's niche these days.
Y'know what's weird?  There's another guy, Volound, who I remember used to do those kinds of videos, too.  When I needed to look up a link for the StealthGamerBR example I gave previously, I decided to check in on him to see if he was still active.  While he is, apparently he's now focused on "mastering complex strategy games like Total War."  I can't think of a more 180 degree turn in interests, like a professional twitch shooter pivoting to chess...

We still don't know what the single player DLC will be about.
That's assuming they even deliver on that promise.  Grand Theft Auto V was supposed to have single player DLC, but once they realized how much money they could make from multiplayer content they dropped all pretense and have proceeded to milk that money cow for every last drop.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2022, 01:36:34 AM »
- I said the traffic was less psychotic. Today someone ran me over. Didn't even touch the brakes. I shot him. Cops didn't like that. A bunch of female cops killed me. Interesting. At least they didn't spawn in from ten feet behind me.

- Also, I forgot to mention: in the scav haunt in the first mission, I screwed up and alerted the scavs. All of a sudden several more spawned in the room with the boss and came out shooting. I mean, come ON. Idiots.

- Having one's stealthy approach blown is still a permanent thing, at least in Konpeki Plaza. ::)

I considered trying to load one of my pre-1.5 saves, but I had visions of hardlocks dancing through my nightmares. Still, could be amusing...

Got a couple of mods that might be of interest in light of the devs' adjust-a-thon:

Every Version of the Optical Camo Cyberware will now last to 15-20-25-30-35-40-45-50-55-60 sec (that's the name, man.)

OR: Better Optical Camo

And my favorite: Restore Legendary Ping

If the DLC allows my character to dress in such a way that she doesn't look like a schizophrenic colorblind rooster, than it will probably be worth it. But, since I am an orthodox pessimist, I am expecting something on the same level as horse armor.

Strategy Games: a long time ago Barry Bollinger sent me a copy of KKND Extreme, just raving about how good it was. My reaction was "Ah...uh...thanks, but I'm not really wired for that sort of thing."

Btw, if anyone hasn't heard yet, Starfield has been pushed back to the first half of 2023. Way to go, Bethesda.

On the bright side, maybe vid cards will become affordable again in the interim. (The trend seems to be pointing that way.) And perhaps pigs will not shit upon me as they fly overhead.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2022, 09:23:49 AM »
Speculation: what will be the first mod for Starfield?

1. Bug "fixes."
["There was a small shrub floating three centimeters off the ground, and this mod aims to fix such egregious errors that should ultimately be punished with the ritual executions of the entire QA department and their families..."]

2. Nude mod.
["I am fourteen years old."]

3. Reshade.
["The game doesn't conform exactly to my preferred color palette."]

4. "Overhaul."
["Everything about the game sucks and I'm going to change it."]

5. Furry mod / stupid anime crap.
["Pink cat ears and a big fluffy tail for your character!"]

6. Pride flag.
["What better way to announce to a universe (that doesn't give a rat's ass) that you're gay than to plant this stupid rainbow flag on the planet of your choice?"]

7. Anti-Todd Howard mod.
["He promised us! Waaaaaaaaaah!"]

Add your own idea(s) for the useless-ization of the so-called modding community here.

This post brought to you by the Why Do I Even Care Anymore Foundation.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2022, 01:13:07 AM »
24 years ago, Half-Life was released.

24 years ago, I was 24 years old.

Jesus Christ.

:ss-disbelief

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2022, 09:15:12 PM »
is this a reflection about the complete and utter absence of any Half-Life 3, or about getting older?  Because on that account I'm beating you so I will get depressed too :lol:

And I think we can all put HL3 to rest, along with the Steam Controller. Valve have brilliant ideas but also real difficulties sustaining them in the long run...

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2022, 08:37:13 AM »
A bit of both, actually. And people wonder why I wear black all the time.

THEM: Is it because it's slimming--

ME: NO, it's because I'm in mourning -- MOURNING! -- for a host of things you COULDN'T POSSIBLY UNDERSTAND!

THEM: Maybe if you walked more and laid off the sugar, you could wear colors.

ME: Colors suck. Life sucks. You suck. I'm gonna take another 6-hour nap.

I'm sorry, that doesn't really go anywhere. :ss-kickcan

The thing that bothers me most about HL3 (besides the utter lack of an ending to the story) is that they obviously have the means (and the infrastructure) to finish the damn thing, they just...don't. Can you imagine being in their stable of level designers and getting paid not to work on one of the most high-profile franchises in PC gaming history? Or did they kill all of the employees when the whole Episode thing tanked? For example, has Dario Casali been seen in public since then?

Disclaimer: It's blindingly obvious that I don't keep up with the devs on social media or follow anyone on twitter or whatnot. I don't care. But the whole no-HL3 enigma seems fishy to me, a complete outsider who has this odd tendency to craft completely uninformed opinions to justify his bitter little rut in an ever-worsening world. Thank you.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2022, 04:44:08 AM »
Want to talk about absurdity... What about The Witcher 3 Remastered for example? Oops, excusez-moi; I mean "Next Gen" as this is the official name (it still feels like remastering to me).

Well, it's not a downright absurdity it's just so non-essential. When it comes to The Witcher series, The Witcher and The Witcher 2 seems in more dire need of "remaster" than The Witcher 3.

Especially because seven years after it's original release, The Witcher 3 still graphically can hold a candle to many other "new" games out there.

And yes, I know, every owner of The Witcher 3 GOTY will have their free copy of the Next-Gen edition (which by the way will be out on December 14) so why am I even complaining? Because there are so many unnecessary remasters these days and too few worthy old games (Thief series, System Shock 2...) granted a lifting (just System Shock is due for a remaster but it seems to be taking a very long time -- but I admit they had to completely rewrite the game).

And then again, The Witcher 1 is so outdated that most people who only played The Witcher 3 don't even want to hear about it (let alone play it) and the same goes for The Witcher 2 (which had already goofy graphics on the day of its release and didn't aged very well). So why The Witcher 3? Because of all three it's the best seller? Of course... that seems perfectly reasonable...

Anyway, pay me no mind, I'm just generally venting there  :redhot:

Oh and happy After Thanksgiving day (what the hell do you do the day after Thanksgiving anyway?) Hope you had a good time yesterday for those following the tradition -- I'm not but then I have excuses with me not being American and all  :lol:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 04:48:20 AM by Starfox »

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2022, 05:04:00 PM »
My biggest problem with the Witcher 1 was the odd combat system that...okay, it was probably just me. But...timed strikes when you're being swarmed isn't all that fun. Again: probably just me. ::)

What do we do the day after Thanksgiving? We digest. For the day itself, think of the boa constrictor after swallowing an entire pig. Who then follows it up with an entire pumpkin pie topped with a metric ton of whipped cream. Just fat snakes catatonic in front of the TV with empty Reddi-Whip cans littering the floor around us. College football or pro ball? Depends on personal preference and your level of catatonia.

So the day after is spent recovering from our gluttony. And eating cold turkey sandwiches. :love: