Author Topic: Dagon: by H.P. Lovecraft [2021 -- Bit Golem]  (Read 74 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Dagon: by H.P. Lovecraft [2021 -- Bit Golem]
« on: October 29, 2021, 12:38:38 PM »
OK, here's something a bit special for Halloween and better yet, it's free (you can find it on GOG.com)

Dagon: by H.P. Lovecraft is not a game. It's more like the interactive movie of Lovecraft's short story of the same name. There's no combat in there, no hard choices, no dialogues. So what is it? Think about an audiobook with 3D scenery. I found that it's an amusing introduction to Lovecraft, his work and a part of his life. The "game" tells the story of Dagon through a succession of 3D slides and a lot of them having hidden elements that one can discover an interact with. Each of those elements when discovered tells a fact about Lovecraft or explain a context related to his work or his life.

The "game" is rather short. One can go through it in an hour or so, wasting time finding some of the more concealed interactive elements.

All in all a fun quickie to pass the time for Halloween, either as a refresher course on Lovecraft or as an introduction for those completely unfamiliar. As I said, it's not a game (except if you consider finding hidden elements a game) but one cannot beat the price...

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
Re: Dagon: by H.P. Lovecraft [2021 -- Bit Golem]
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 10:39:05 PM »
An "interactive novel" of sorts, I guess. Although not my favorite story (if I had to choose, I'd name either "The Hound" or "The Haunter of the Dark"...maybe even the "The Thing On The Doorstep"), the accompanying graphics were spot-on in conveying the horror the narrator faces. Not to spoil anything, but there's a reason Lovecraft had a loathing of seafood...

Also, I enjoyed the narration; the voice acting was excellent.

Anyway, can't beat the price of free, but if anyone's so inclined to part with their cash, there's a DLC for $4.49 at the moment, and another pending.

So thanks for bringing this to my attention. :ss-cthulhu
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 06:27:07 AM »
there's a reason Lovecraft had a loathing of seafood...

Ah, thalassophobia. Can come in many forms. I'm not thalassophobic myself (otherwise I wouldn't have dare go scuba diving in my time) so I cannot really understand it. I have a friend that suffers from it though. She hates the ocean, she panics as soon as her feet don't touch the ground anymore -- she nearly drowned her husband once --, she doesn't like live fishes (not even marine mammals like dolphins) still she loves fishes, when cooked, in her plate -- even though she cannot touch a dead fish before it is cooked. So not the same thalassophobia as Lovecraft I guess :lol:

Considering all he has written about deep ocean monsters while believing that nothing could live at those depths, imagine what he could have written if he knew about all the fauna we discovered since his time, living between 4000 and 8000 meters deep, some of it turning Cthulhu himself into a real plushie for kids :ss-cthulhu

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 09:03:45 PM »
Part of the problem with seafood lies in knowing what your food looked like before it was turned into dinner; another part deals with the fact that they don't exactly try to hide some of it. Crab legs? Lobster? No. Best to go to McDonald's instead, where the only thing in front of you that was actually organic at one point is the "hamburger" bun. (I still insist that the fries are at least in some part styrofoam.)

I could go into detail about what I specifically dislike about seafood, but enh...why ruin others' enjoyment?

Still...tentacles. :throwup:

Reminds me: my mother was a huge fan of seafood (my childhood: lots and lots of frozen fish sticks...still can't stand 'em), insisting that we eat at Red Lobster (we're in a land-locked state; it's the only real seafood restaurant) at every State Occasion (birthdays, Mother's Day, Fridays, etc.). She wasn't crazy about lobster, but she liked crab. And then we got an appetizer sampler platter once, with calamari rings.

She ate a couple of those, then asked: "What *is* calamari?"

"Squid."

She turned green.

Thereafter, I'd always ask if she'd like calamari for an appetizer, and she'd always tell me to shut up. Good times. :ss-sparkly

Me? I thought it was okay. It tasted a bit like deep-fried rubber bands, but then again, so do their scallops.

Personally, I opt for Mexican food. (Sorry...here, it's Tex-Mex. There's a difference.) Not as many tentacles in that, but the cucaracha content might be a bit higher...but that's a culinary landmine for another day.

Anyway.

I'd hate to be the guy stuck in a submersible with Lovecraft...
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers