Author Topic: Skyrim Aniversary Edition -- the shit already hit the fan  (Read 43 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Skyrim Aniversary Edition -- the shit already hit the fan
« on: November 14, 2021, 12:37:29 PM »
So the creator of SKSE issued a warning a couple of weeks ago that I just discovered: Skyrim Anniversary Edition will disrupt any mod you may have installed that make use of SKSE. The reason is that Bethesda rewrote the game compiler for the Anniversary Edition in such a way that it has become incompatible not only with SKSE but with the mods written for SKSE. The SKSE author already said that he will write another version for AE but that won't do any good as long as the mods themselves are not updated which according to him may be a substantial job for the mod authors (it's not as simple as changing the version number).

But that's not the worst. The worst is that it doesn't only affect the Anniversary Edition. Copies of Skyrim SE even if don't opt for the Anniversary Edition are also affected. Because Bethesda made sure to update every copies of Skyrim, Special Edition and Anniversary Edition alike.

The only way to prevent that is to not let Steam update your copy of SKyrim SE. For that you must go into the game properties and choose the update options "Only update the game when I launch it" and then to create a shortcut directly to the SKSE executable in the Skyrim SE folder. DO NOT LAUNCH THE GAME DIRECTLY WITH STEAM after that or It will update the game and you will be able to kiss your SKSE mods goodbye.

Additionally it is stressed that you should do a hard backup of your Skyrim SE folder (not updated) in it's entirety to prevent any mishap (that way if by mistake you "provoke" an update of Skyrim SE you could reverse it) or at least a copy of the following files (from the game folder -- also when they're not updated) if you don't have the space for a full backup:

SkyrimSE.exe
data/Skyrim.esm
data/Update.esm
data/Skyrim - Interface.bsa
data/Skyrim - Misc.bsa
data/Skyrim - Patch.bsa

Nobody has any idea of how much time it will take for mods using SKSE to be "adapted" to Skyrim AE. Some most possibly never will. Others may take a long time. A few might be updated in the coming weeks. It all depends on the mods authors and if they are willing to put in the extra work.

As a side note, the situation could have been entirely avoided by Bethesda just by putting the Anniversary Edition in its own folder as a standalone but guess what; as with a lot of other things at Beth they decided that screwing up was way better.

Well, in any case you're now warned. If you don't want the Anniversary Edition or wish to keep all of your mods working don't let Steam update your game. If you wish to go for the Anniversary Edition then too bad because you'll have to loose you SKSE mods at least for a while and for some maybe forever. That's the tradeoff Bethesda offers for being able to use all those Creation Club mods you don't care about -- at least I know I don't.

Does it feel like Christmas to you? Because Bethesda sure has a strange definition of "gift"  :redhot:

Gopher has an "educational" video about the whole thing there (if you hate reading)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 12:13:44 AM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Skyrim Aniversary Ediotn -- the shit already hit the fan
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 10:58:46 AM »
Hey, kids! Once again, it's...

!!CHRISTMAS WITH BETHESDA!!

DAD: Look! Santa Todd left you a great big present under the tree, Timmy!

TIMMY: Gee whillikers, dad!

DAD: Well, go on...open it!

TIMMY: Golly! It's...it's...what is that?

DAD: Oh, for the love of god...it's a big box of shit.

TIMMY: Son of a bitch!

DAD: I'm sorry, kid. But just think...Starfield's coming out next year and maybe--

TIMMY: And I'll bet THAT box is going to be even bigger.

DAD: Son, you're too young to be so cynical.

TIMMY: It's a fucked-up world, dad. I need a drink. Where's mom keep the cooking sherry?

:blowingpmad: :xchristmas: :blowingpmad:
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

everything