Author Topic: Random Crap 2022: Still Circling The Drain  (Read 73 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Random Crap 2022: Still Circling The Drain
« on: January 03, 2022, 09:32:41 AM »
...maybe some positivity? How about:

"2022: The Best Year Ever!"

But: the best year for WHAT, exactly? Meeting personal goals? Achieving spiritual growth? Isolation-induced alcohol abuse?  A messy murder-suicide? Who can tell!

A couple of years ago I was asked -- by an admitted extrovert -- how I handled living alone (as if I had a choice in the matter). I said that the upside was that if I ever flipped out, I'd be the only casualty in my rampage.

COP: How'd he manage to chop his own head off with a dull axe?
CSI: Persistence.

[cue "Pinball Wizard"]

Okay, this needs a pic.

Happy New Year, btw. :ss-ahhhh
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
Re: Random Crap 2022: Still Circling The Drain
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 12:07:18 PM »
What I find funny about these big sales events on Steam and GOG is that games that are shared on both platforms are never sales-competitive. Hmmm. I'm not suggesting something evil, but...ah, hell. Of course it's evil.

For example, Psychonauts 2, on Steam: 35% off, $38.99. On GOG? Huh...35% off, just $38.99! Uh...okay. Or Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous? All of the different bundle options are fixed at 15% off retail on both platforms.

[Side note: the sales-pricing of Psychonauts 2 versus Pathfinder is a little odd. P2 (rated "overwhelmingly postive") came out in September and is already 35% off; Pathfinder (rated "very positive") came out in August and is only 15% off. I guess it all depends on the publisher making the deals with the platforms.]

Okay, try the Jedi Knight series. Really low price on GOG right now, just $2.09 for JKDFII and $3.49 for both JKJO an JKJA. Ah, but they're exactly the same price on Steam. The only difference is that GOG doesn't have Dark Forces or the DFII expansion (Mysteries of the Sith).

What's really bad is the Witcher series. Think you're getting a better deal on GOG? You naive dork. It's the same price on both platforms. You'd think that GOG...but no.

Granted, I didn't spend more than a few minutes researching all of this, so obviously my conclusions suffer from not making it my life's work to expose blah blah blah.

So bottom line: if you want a specific title that's shared by both on the cheap, you're better off just waiting for the next big sale instead of shopping for a sweet deal.

People make fun of my foil hat, but they're jealous. I think it's sporty and fun.

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 02:59:59 PM »
I was considering picking up Far Cry 6 during Steam's winter sale, but then I found out it's only on the Epic Games Store.  My first thought was, "Wait, they're still doing that exclusivity crap?"  My second thought was, "Well, guess I won't be getting Far Cry 6 anytime soon."

All of the digital games I own are either self-launching or are on Steam.  I'm not opposed to another digital storefront, like GOG, but as you mentioned when the games are available on both what's the point of diluting the brand?  And while that might argue in favor of exclusivity, it remains a bee in my bonnet.

Like, on the console front I'm with Sony.  If something comes out exclusively on Xbox (and isn't available on PC), then I just miss out on it.  I don't feel compelled to buy another console due to FOMO.  So the logic largely holds even when the goods are digital and it wouldn't even cost me anything.
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 07:14:07 PM »
Hey, hey, hey! How's it going on this beautiful beginning of the year?

(If you feel like I'm being sarcastic it's probably because I am).

The administration if currently giving me a headache in supplement to other health related things going not right. I don't know; apparently there are truly people in the world that get their kicks off filling paperwork all day long and because they do they feel like you should feel the same... so they share... idiots.

Still I wish everyone a year as good as possible (although I think we shouldn't set the bar too high).

About storefronts. I get the feeling as the years pass that the sales are more and more... stale, as stale as a military biscuit forgotten in the fields of WWII. Yes, there's no difference between Steam and GOG but I think it's more because of the publishers as opposed to a conspiracy between Steam and GOG ;D However the "staleness" (so to speak) of the sales comes from them being less and less relevant. There are so many "small" sales all year long that the "big" sales don't mean much anymore. GOG was pretty good when they were doing just the Good Old Games thing. Now that they are fully involved in new releases... well, let's just say that when it's an old game I buy on GOG because the support is better but if it's a recent game I buy on Steam.

I was on the verge of buying Red Dead Redemption 2 then I saw the requirements... 150GB on the drive. Are they nuts? And I'm not saying that because I lack space, I'm saying that because on all this data probably half of it is multiplayer stuff that I have absolutely no interest in, so to me it's wasted space, period.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 09:40:00 PM »
This may seem a bit out of left field, but I just have to scream in bold italicized all-caps:

WHY ARE PILLOWS SO GODDAMN EXPENSIVE??

Thank you and good evening.

everything