Author Topic: Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty  (Read 97 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
« on: September 06, 2022, 12:26:15 PM »
Yet another entry in the "Who Gives A Damn?" category. But...oh, well.

The 1.6 patch just downloaded and applied, right after I had sorted out an issue I had with CET, AMM, and body seams (which actually caused another seam issue). Which means that all of the mods I use to run *those* mods are broken until they can be updated.

So how is YOUR life today, hmmm?

Anyway, this comes with a few things that I'll mention in a moment. For now, the big news is that the first huge DLC is coming out in...2023. No month or day, just "2023." So of course I'm putting everything aside and holding my breath until then.  ::)

Anyway, it's called Phantom Liberty, taking place in a new section of Night City. Yippee. There's even a trailer, which you can see right here. Try not to trip over your own pecker getting there.

So as for the new stuff in 1.6:

- Transmog: "You can now create Outfits in your Wardrobe that change your equipped clothing's appearance without changing their stats by using holographic projection technology."

Ummm...what? I guess I'll have to try it out to see what the bleeding hell they're talking about.

- "The city's fixers have some gigs for you!" Three new gigs in Kabuki and Arroyo. I'm guessing this will wreak havok with the Hidden Gems mod, which ties together the Hidden Gems "quests" and fixers. And I just installed it, too. :ss-kickcan

- New [ranged] weapons. Includes a fully automatic shotgun, a tech SMG, a "deadly new piece of Kang Tao iron" (whatever that means), and so on.

- New melee weapons. Five new blade weapon types, including knives, axes, machetes, and a chainsword. I look forward to selling them at the nearest drop point.

- "Cyberpunk: Edgerunners left something for you in Night City! Cyberpunk:Edgerunners is a cyberpunk anime series that'll p--"

Ok, they lost me at anime. The gist is that there will be stuff in the city that tie into the series, and it makes me want to die. There's nothing I love more than mixed-media tie-ins to understand what's going on. (Example: the Mass Effect novels and cross-platform "games" tying in with the main games.) "Hey! Did you watch the entire series on a streaming platform you may or may not have access to? No? Then you'll have no clue what's going on! You suck! HA!"

However, if you don't give a crap it makes life so much simpler.

For example:

GAME: Here's a reference to something that happened on another media platform entirely!
FANBOY: OMG that's SOOOOOOO funny! LOL! I totally get it because I watched every episode 18 times!

...as opposed to...

GAME: Here's a reference to something that happened on another media platform entirely!
ME: So fucking what?

As Thoreau wrote, "Simplify, simplify."

- Roach Race minigame. Because all I could think of when I walked into a bar had nothing to do with killing a guy quietly, no...I wanted to play a videogame within a videogame. Dear God. No. Just...no.

- Adding that creepy cat to your photos if you want. Me? Do not want.

Btw, there's a mod that adds fur (in various patterns) to the damned thing, so that'll help. Otherwise: BACK, DEMON!

- Neon rims for motorcycles. Okay, I'll admit I like this one. There's a mod for that already, but hopefully this one is a bit more functional. What I'd really like is to able to change my Kusanagi's appearance without involving mods, but whatever.

- Change your appearance at ripperdoc clinics. Instead of hightailing it back to your apartment, you can find a ripperdoc and...sigh. It's a more expanded version of changing your appearance in the mirror, from what I gather. There was a totally functional mod for that, but okay. Fewer mods to load is fine by me.

- Newly added hairstyles, too. Huh. I'm intrigued. I wonder just how disappointed I'll be?

While I'm complaining bitterly (I can't help it. I'm old.), why not add a screenshot here featuring the character I was just finished putting the final touches on just moments before CDPR updated and broke the tools?

Now I get to sit. And wait. I guess I'll strip my installation down and look into some of the new features. Or I could go get some lunch.
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
Re: Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 05:44:30 PM »
Yet another entry in the "Who Gives A Damn?" category. But...oh, well.

Well, here's a related question for you, then, Silver: what other cyberpunk games would you recommend?  I've been perusing lists lately, and it's surprising how many older titles come up.  Not in the sense that they're classics, necessarily, but just that there don't seem to be as many noteworthy cyberpunk games out there as you'd think.
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 07:53:27 PM »
The whole cyberpunk genre is somewhat out of my interest range (to put it mildly), so I'm afraid I can't really recommend anything of that nature with authority. I'm dimly aware of a couple of titles that may be cyberpunk, but I'm not really sure. One was the Shadowrun game with Asian elves, or something. I don't know. Recently PCGamer was going into ecstasies over something similar to Cyberpunk, but it was a kind of isometric thing...something I'm not fond of anyway.

In short: sorry. I am filled with shame.

Still waiting on that Steampunk 1877 game, though. More my speed. Oh, and Plainpunk 1977? Where you spend half the game trying to get your 8-tracks working in time to blow past your ex-girlfriend Debbie's house at 3am blasting the Sex Pistols? Okay, not my thing either.

Btw, here's the list of major 1.6 changes, for all the good it will do the world.

Btw Pt. II: A bunch of new hairs were added to the game. They pretty much suck. That is all for now.

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 09:26:42 PM »
The whole cyberpunk genre is somewhat out of my interest range (to put it mildly)

Really?  Then why the interest in Cyberpunk 2077?

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 03:57:48 AM »
It's like Everest: because it's there.  ;D

Really, I just like the combination: cyber stuff (cyberninja killing foes with her mind!), cars, and shooting things. Not to mention a pretty good facegen. While I'm not a big fan of the genre itself, I can see the appeal. Call it a casual interest, I guess.

My biggest problem with the game is the nutcase sartorial style. I had to do a lot of mod-digging to find clothes that complement a stealthy ninja-type...sneaking and retina-searing neon pink hot pants don't exactly go together. Otherwise, I simply like the game. It could have more depth of chargen, and the Johnny Shoehorn parts really drag it all to a slow crawl, but oh well.

Example:

Nothing you see on her is actually obtainable without mods. Not joking.

However: once something better comes along (think: Starfall), I'll move on. Until then, there's nothing really all that interesting to me right now. I've exhausted all interest in Skyrim and Fallout, so...this is what I have left. I was just thinking of what I might do when I'm sick of it, and maybe Red Dead Redemption will do the trick. Or I could try GTA V again. Or maybe something older. Who knows? I really just play games between epic naps to keep from being completely bored.  :lol:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 11:23:37 AM »
Oh, and by the way...Phantom Liberty is what CDPR calls their only planned DLC.

That's right, that's all we get out of this buggy boondoggle.

Next up: The Witcher 4. After its release, count on a lot of blank looks from the devs whenever someone brings up Cyberpunk. "Cyberwhat?" they'll ask, mystified. "Never heard of it."

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2022, 12:26:23 AM »
I still want a Witcher game where you play as Letho in Zerrikania, living up to his Kingslayer moniker.  Something like an open-ended Assassin's Creed, where there's a couple of kingdoms and you're tasked with taking out any number of said rulers but it's up to the player to figure out how to pull it off.  And your actions have consequences, like taking them all out leads to anarchy, but leaving these two alive leads to a war between them, etc.

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2022, 01:32:32 AM »
Recently PCGamer was going into ecstasies over something similar to Cyberpunk, but it was a kind of isometric thing...

Probably The Ascent.  It's certainly visually stunning, but from what I've seen and read neither the gameplay nor story is anything to write home about.  I actually just gave something similar a whirl: Satellite Reign.  It's pitched like the old Syndicate games, but open-world and with more of an emphasis on stealth, so it sounded right up my alley.  Unfortunately, the stealth system seems a bit too unforgiving to me, and when you're forced into combat your squad's AI leaves something to be desired.  That, and the mission design is overly reductive, reusing locations for separate missions (if you look into the details you can multitask, but I spent way too much time sneaking back into the same places two, sometimes three times).

At this point, I'm waiting on Replaced.  While it's inspired by The Last Night and a bit more post-apocalypse than cyberpunk, at least it isn't vaporware like its inspiration turned out to be.  Then again, it did inspire others (like Final Run, a student project), so I suppose it's not completely without worth.

everything