Author Topic: Massive TDS review  (Read 2933 times)

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
Massive TDS review
« on: August 11, 2006, 03:27:20 PM »
Bam!

I'm curious as to what you guys think.  I've never attempted anything on this kind of scale before...
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Massive TDS review
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 12:44:25 PM »
Great job, Doc. I liked how you pulled in the retrospective of all the background info, as well as the actual review itself. Some things just get better over time. For example, if Vampire Masquerade were to come out now, with all the patches that have been developed by the community, I guarantee it would have gained a higher review score.

I guess the true story is that it's such a shame when developers are pushed into releasing something that just isn't quite ready, for whatever reason. No one wins in those circumstances: gamers get a shifty game, reviewers give it bad reviews, and the publisher and game developer suffer from lack of sales. Would it be worth taking an extra few months to release the game vs. paying salaries during that time frame? Hard question.

But regardless, thanks for pulling all the background together for TDS. I really like it, in its own way, but try not to compare it directly to Thief 2, which I find the best of the three.

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 03:58:49 PM »
Wow. Yeah, that's pretty big alright. :o

I think I'd call it less a "review" and more a "retrospective". It's good to remind people why TDS turned into the diamond in the rough that it was, not to mention that it could have turned out far worse (like Invisible War). Plus we got the editing tools we wanted, mainly due to both the determination of the fans and the dedication to the remaining development staff.

Good read, Doc!
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 09:59:06 PM »
Thanks gents, I appreciate the kind words.  ;D  I just wonder how well she'll go over at TTLG (once the site gets back up)...  :-\

For example, if Vampire Masquerade were to come out now, with all the patches that have been developed by the community, I guarantee it would have gained a higher review score.
You know, one of these days I'll get around to reviewing that one...  :hammerhead:

I really like it, in its own way, but try not to compare it directly to Thief 2, which I find the best of the three.

Which is funny, because I'm a Dark Project purist.  I imagine I've gone a little easier on TDS than if I'd preferred Metal Age.  Food for thought.
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 10:15:22 AM »
Okay, let's put it to a vote: Who prefers Thief 1 over Thief 2?

I'm a Thief 2 man, myself. I enjoyed the enhanced graphics of the second over the first, which i find too blocky.

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 11:03:22 AM »
Okay, let's put it to a vote: Who prefers Thief 1 over Thief 2?
Personallly, I preferred Thief 1. I'm part of the group who loved the undead missions just as much as the mansion/castle-robbing ones. Plus "Casing the Joint" kind of left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Then again, the Bonehoard didn't exactly endear itself to me on my first play-through either. I hate getting lost. :P
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."