Author Topic: UT2007 gets a new name!  (Read 3521 times)

Offline GreyMouser

• Forums Keeper
  • It's all so UNREAL to me.
UT2007 gets a new name!
« on: January 25, 2007, 09:34:23 PM »
Although, not being very exciting news......:sleepy2:
UT2007 gets a name change. It's now....Unreal Tournament 3
The game  still has a tentative release date of 6/01, this summer.
...Personally, I've been eagerly waiting this game;....anddd...after seeing all the trailers and "promos" on this game,...
..........that wait is getting harder!.... ::)

...............:smoking:
The Beauty is in the "Play".

Offline Lord Mantrid

• Sorry, you startled me. I was doing Snorkel Shots.
Re: UT2007 gets a new name!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 12:32:02 AM »
But wait. If there was one in 99, then one in 2003 and one in 2004, shouldn't this one be called Unreal Tournament 4?
Spoiler
valv softwer is 3d relms in teh futuer!!!!!!111!1!1one1!

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 07:26:51 AM »
No. The thing is that they count by the engine. UT99 was Unreal Engine 1. UT 2003 and 2004 were both Unreal Engine 2 and UT 2007 becomes UT3 because of the Unreal Engine 3. They intend to stress that because my guess is that the guys at Epic games make even more money selling their engine than selling the game.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Lord Mantrid

• Sorry, you startled me. I was doing Snorkel Shots.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 05:52:50 PM »
Oh. Okay. I feel silly now.  :hammerhead:
Spoiler
valv softwer is 3d relms in teh futuer!!!!!!111!1!1one1!

Offline planetphillip

• PlanetPhillip
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 03:43:16 AM »
I disagree with your reasoning Starfox.  I accept the facts about the use of the engine but if the reasoning you used were true, wouldn't UT2003 have been called UT2?  Also, they wouldn't have called it UT2007 from the beginning if they used the engine designation.  I believe they have now decided to call it UT3 because  UT2004 wasn't really a separate game from UT2003 but  just an upgrade.

UT2003 was released in 2002 (October I think) and like all software with date designation, is usually released the year before the date in the name.  I believe this is to give the product extra longevity.  Perhaps the name change here simply reflects the fact that we are already in 2007 and changing the name to 2008 would seem very strange.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »
Your reasoning would be logical too. However, one can still ask some questions when you watch the last news lines at Epic Games site.

10Tacle Studios AG Licenses Unreal Engine 3 for Elveon
Hi-Rez Studios Licenses Unreal Engine 3 for MMOG
Gearbox Licenses Unreal Engine 3
Buena Vista Games Licenses Unreal Engine 3
Creator of Grand Theft Auto and Lemmings
Chooses Unreal Engine 3
Atari Licenses Unreal Engine 3
THQ Licenses Unreal Engine 3
Sony Online Entertainment Licenses Unreal Engine 3
Electronic Arts Licenses Unreal Engine 3
Stargate Worlds MMORPG to use Unreal Engine 3
Vogster Entertainment Licenses Unreal Engine 3
Unreal Engine 3 Wins Best Game Engine Award

And I forgot some...

So sure we are in 2007 but still if they respect their deadline, UT3 will be released in 2007 so there's no real point in changing the name right now (unless they are sure the game won't come out before 2008). The above news headlines clearly shows that the licensing of their engine is a huge venue for Epic Games and probably way bigger than the games they develop themselves.

The reasons behind the name change are probably a mix of both reasonings anyway. Maybe Epic is not sure to release the game this year and decided a name change in advance to protect them from bad publicity or that it's not in the mood anymore to mention a year in a product name since of course labeling a product with a year makes it grows older rather fast. But in the same time that making the link with the third version of the unreal engine was not a bad idea either which doesn't hurt because as you mentioned UT2004 was an update to UT2003 and not a whole new game (although it was sold as one and was never proposed as an upgrade to those who already owned UT2003 so that marketing wise UT2003 and 2004 are two separate games).

In the end though the essential is that they release the damn game and that it proves to be pretty good.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 12:16:21 PM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline planetphillip

• PlanetPhillip
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 01:53:22 PM »
For sure they want to push the "Unreal Engine 3" part, and I agree that they probably make much more money from the Engine than the game but did GOW do a great job of promoting the engine?

I know what you are saying about UT2003 and UT2004, what I meant was that there was no new significant content.

And you have hit the nail on the head with what's important, the game itself not the title.

Offline GreyMouser

• Forums Keeper
  • It's all so UNREAL to me.
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 07:34:34 PM »
......And you have hit the nail on the head with what's important, the game itself not the title.
......Ain't that the truth!!!!...;)
As a nice old lady once said, while passing a platter of "brownies",.... ""Rose is a rose is a rose is a rose."".... 8)

...............:smoking:

The Beauty is in the "Play".

everything