Author Topic: Games For Windows Upcoming Titles Listing  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Games For Windows Upcoming Titles Listing
« on: July 11, 2007, 10:03:44 AM »
But first, what are "Games For Windows"? For those who wouldn't already know that, this is a label delivered by, guess who... Microsoft. When buying a game bearing this label (which is the noticeable banner shown below located at the top of the DVD box) you're supposed to buy a game without any of the hassle gamers generally experience when attempting to run the game they just bought, a game that is 100% compatible with Windows XP and Vista (unless of course, it is of the "Vista Required" kind) and Windows peripherals; a game that has been thoroughly tested to deliver the best performances possible on Windows platforms.

The "Games For Windows" label also tells you that the game is ready for the latest gaming features included in Vista like parental control an ease of installation (because yeah, obviously, installing a game until then was pretty hard; should we deduct at this point that the DVD now jumps by itself in the tray then closes the drive and clicks the installer buttons alone so the user has nothing to do anymore? The story doesn't tell.)

Anyway, Microsoft released a listing of the upcoming titles that will all bear the label "Games for Windows" in the coming year. And here it is:

• Age of Empires III : The Asian Dynasties (Microsoft Game Studios)
  • Bee Movie Game (Activison)
  • BlackSite : Area 51 (Midway Games)
  • Clive Barker's Jericho (Codemasters)
  • The Club (SEGA)
  • Company of Heroes : Opposing Fronts (THQ)
  • Empire Earth 3 (Sierra Entertainment)
  • Fallout® 3 (Bethesda Softworks)
  • Flight Simulator X : Acceleration (Microsoft Game Studios)
  • Gears of War (Microsoft Game Studios)
  • Hour of Victory (Midway Games)
  • John Woo Presents Stranglehold (Midway Games)
  • Juiced 2 : Hot Import Nights (THQ)
  • Kane & Lynch : Dead Men (Eidos)
  • Nancy Drew : Legend of Crystal Skull (Her Interactive Inc.)
  • Operation Flashpoint 2 (Codemasters)
  • Rise of the Argonauts (Codemasters)
  • Rogue Warrior (Bethesda Softworks)
  • SEGA Rally Revo (SEGA)
  • Sid Meier's Civilization IV : Beyond the SwordTM (2K Games)
  • Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Gold Edition (2K Games)
  • Spider-Man™: Friend or Foe (Activision)
  • Star Wars® Empire at War : Gold Pack (LucasArts)
  • The Witcher (Atari)
  • Thrillville : Off the Rails (LucasArts)
  • Turning Point : Fall of Liberty (Codemasters)
  • Universe at War : Earth Assault (SEGA)
  • Viva Piñata (Microsoft Game Studios)
  • Zoo Tycoon 2 : Extinct Animals (Microsoft Game Studios)

Seeing that Fallout 3 (previous news there) made it to the list, I guess that although Bethesda is opposed to the idea of "Vista Required", they don't spit on the occasional GFW goodie.

Now for the anecdote... First time I saw a "Games For Windows" title, there was also on the box a red thing saying "Vista Required"... I went "Yuk!" and that definitely spoiled the "Games For Windows" label for me. So now each time I see this label I have this little voice inside me whispering "Stay away! Stay a-way!". But that's just me, of course. Anyway, care to know more about the "Game For Windows" label? Just go to the official site (I shouldn't even give you this address, it's bad to encourage stupidity but well, I'm in a bad day so there you go  :evil1: ).

And what about all those titles not bearing the label? Well, rumor has it that you can still install them on Windows (both XP and Vista) but at your own risks because all sorts of weird things may happen, including the end of the Universe or Britney Spears finally deciding to buy a farm in Australia to raise a lot of sheeps that she will be able to shave all day long (she has the experience now) and not bother us anymore.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 11:06:31 AM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline planetphillip

• PlanetPhillip
Re: Games For Windows Upcoming Titles Listing
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 04:14:28 PM »
Really glad to See Jericho and BlackSite:Area 51 on there.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: Games For Windows Upcoming Titles Listing
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 12:20:57 AM »
mm... Jericho... I have a little item about it that should come today.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein