Author Topic: ATI Thief 2 tweak guide: Restore my Fog!  (Read 3333 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
ATI Thief 2 tweak guide: Restore my Fog!
« on: July 24, 2007, 11:12:10 AM »
Well, I put this here because each time I haven't  played Thief 2 in quite some times and that I start it back I always have to remember how to re-enable fog with my ATI card. Plus it may serves other ATI owners who might have forgotten too.

First: download and install an utility like ATI Tray Tools (available on guru 3D).

Second: right click on the ATI Tray Tools icon in the system tray then click on Tweaks / Advanced Tweaks...

Third: in the properties sheet that appears, in the fog section (immediately at the top) click the boxes to make sure that:

• Table Fog is enabled (checked)
  • W Fog is disabled (unchecked)
  • Z fog is enabled (checked).

Leave the other options alone.

That's it the fog will appear in Thief 2 (if it is enabled in your Thief 2 options).

To be frank, ATI's fog in Thief 2 is not as good looking (not as smooth) as NVidia's one but on the other hand ATI's clouds in Thief 2 are way better looking than NVidia's poorly rendered ones. So it's all a question of compromise and taste.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: if you want to play a more modern game after your Thief 2 session you have to return the previous values to their "unknown" state (default) that is represented by a full square. Failing to do that may result in some weird visual things happening in titles like Unreal Tournament 2k4.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 11:17:17 AM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
Re: ATI Thief 2 tweak guide: Restore my Fog!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 07:12:38 PM »
Saw this thread at TTLG:

New ATI Drivers fix fog problem!

So that's TWO we owe Nightwalker.  :lol:
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 02:50:40 AM »
Hey, what do you know? That's true! I didn't notice that before because I kept applying the tweak mentioned above but yeah, it's right. Not only Catalyst 7.11 bring back the fog in Thief 2 -- without any tweak -- but it's also a nice fog much better than the usual ATI fog. Demonstration with a screen from the beginning of Precious Cargo:

And LOTP

Although there are still some problems like shows this second screen from LOTP (there has been so much time I didn't play LOTP that I don't remember if these are drivers or game related though -- I remember that there were fog problems in LOTP even on my Voodoo 5500):

So why Catalyst 7.11 restore the fog in Thief 2... I don't know. But they do. I have to install the latest 7.12 to see if it's the same but according to TTLG thread it should be.

UPDATE: works with 7.12 too. So considering that ATI has always been much better at displaying clouds than NVidia, that makes of Catalyst 7.11-.12 the first video drivers in ages that can be truely stamped "Thief 2 approved". How much time will that last... I guess we'll have to wait for the next 8.01 drivers to see...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 03:11:05 AM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 05:27:22 AM »
And one more, the newest Catalyst 8.1 have fog too...

everything