Author Topic: ATI Thief 2 tweak guide: Restore my Fog!  (Read 3525 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
ATI Thief 2 tweak guide: Restore my Fog!
« on: July 24, 2007, 11:12:10 AM »
Well, I put this here because each time I haven't  played Thief 2 in quite some times and that I start it back I always have to remember how to re-enable fog with my ATI card. Plus it may serves other ATI owners who might have forgotten too.

First: download and install an utility like ATI Tray Tools (available on guru 3D).

Second: right click on the ATI Tray Tools icon in the system tray then click on Tweaks / Advanced Tweaks...

Third: in the properties sheet that appears, in the fog section (immediately at the top) click the boxes to make sure that:

• Table Fog is enabled (checked)
  • W Fog is disabled (unchecked)
  • Z fog is enabled (checked).

Leave the other options alone.

That's it the fog will appear in Thief 2 (if it is enabled in your Thief 2 options).

To be frank, ATI's fog in Thief 2 is not as good looking (not as smooth) as NVidia's one but on the other hand ATI's clouds in Thief 2 are way better looking than NVidia's poorly rendered ones. So it's all a question of compromise and taste.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: if you want to play a more modern game after your Thief 2 session you have to return the previous values to their "unknown" state (default) that is represented by a full square. Failing to do that may result in some weird visual things happening in titles like Unreal Tournament 2k4.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 11:17:17 AM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
Re: ATI Thief 2 tweak guide: Restore my Fog!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 07:12:38 PM »
Saw this thread at TTLG:

New ATI Drivers fix fog problem!

So that's TWO we owe Nightwalker.  :lol:
Fun Fact! The cheetah can run 75 miles per hour! Faster, if on fire!

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 02:50:40 AM »
Hey, what do you know? That's true! I didn't notice that before because I kept applying the tweak mentioned above but yeah, it's right. Not only Catalyst 7.11 bring back the fog in Thief 2 -- without any tweak -- but it's also a nice fog much better than the usual ATI fog. Demonstration with a screen from the beginning of Precious Cargo:

And LOTP

Although there are still some problems like shows this second screen from LOTP (there has been so much time I didn't play LOTP that I don't remember if these are drivers or game related though -- I remember that there were fog problems in LOTP even on my Voodoo 5500):

So why Catalyst 7.11 restore the fog in Thief 2... I don't know. But they do. I have to install the latest 7.12 to see if it's the same but according to TTLG thread it should be.

UPDATE: works with 7.12 too. So considering that ATI has always been much better at displaying clouds than NVidia, that makes of Catalyst 7.11-.12 the first video drivers in ages that can be truely stamped "Thief 2 approved". How much time will that last... I guess we'll have to wait for the next 8.01 drivers to see...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 03:11:05 AM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 05:27:22 AM »
And one more, the newest Catalyst 8.1 have fog too...

everything