Author Topic: TDS developed with gamepad in mind? No kidding!  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
TDS developed with gamepad in mind? No kidding!
« on: August 11, 2007, 03:56:52 PM »
A friend of mine and I were arguing during the past days about the advantages and disadvantages of a gamepad over keyboard/mouse combination. He's a fan of gamepads. I'm not (I use a joystick combo for my flying sims but that's it). In the hope to convince me he decided to lend me one (a Thrustmaster Rumble force FPS) so I can test it... seriously. Why not?

So here I am, plugging the thing and deciding to give it a real test in some games that support this kind of thing (starting with Jade Empire where it worked flawlessly but clearly Jade Empire was designed for that anyway). Then I decided to test it in TDS where no official gamepad support was announced (at least for the PC version) and oh surprise... I was impressed (or stunned) to see how TDS reacts better to the gamepad than to the keyboard/mouse.

1) movements that are normally done with the mouse are much smoother with the pad. The gamepad I borrow has two modes, the second one where the right stick acts like a mouse so I switched back and forth between both to make sure and I also used my mouse and there's definitely no argument, the gamepad is smoother, like if TDS had troubles getting the mouse moves.

2) movements with the sticks are pressure sensitive. If you walk for example, you can creep without the need for a specific key. You just have to slightly move the left stick to get the desired speed instead of the full walking speed (a feature that is obviously absent with the keyboard).

3) Even though there is no apparent option for that, force feedback is implemented in TDS. More precisely it apparently only works when you pick a lock but it is there. The vibrations begin as soon as you start moving the stick to pick the lock and gets stronger when you get closer to the soft spot.

All of this just tend to confirm that TDS was developed with the Xbox in mind and was "ported" to PC. The PC version inherited of all the gamepad goodness of the Xbox and also, unfortunately, of most of the drawbacks.

But I think I will still stick to my keyboard/mouse anyway. I suck when it comes to aim with just stick under my thumb. In TDS that has no real importance because you're almost never in a situation requiring precise and fast aiming (and Jade Empire by default auto-aims so you don't care) but in a FPS it's really bad. But yeah, I'm ashamed to admit it, my friend almost converted me to the gamepad for games not requiring fast aiming or like Jade Empire originally designed to work with auto-aim.

It's always easier to hate than to love and some game companies do really like to make it even easier for us.

Offline Joshua-kun

Re: TDS developed with gamepad in mind? No kidding!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 05:02:31 PM »
I do agree, a good game-pad, a nice easy chair and chilled Coca-cola in waterford crystal makes for quite a relaxing evening!

The gamepad is really the lazy man's input device.  Well, maybe not 'lazy-man's' per se; it really allows you to sit back and enjoy your gaming experience with the maximum of comfort.  With my mouse and keyboard however, I usually need to move my chair in close to the desk and sit kind of hunched over in order to skillfully and successfully play something. It feels more like work, actually!

Don't get me wrong; I love the mouse+keyboard combo for I believe it allows for the most precise amount of control and accuracy in most games.  But sometimes nothing beats taking it easy sitting in your skivvies and blasting baddies in your La-Z-Boy!  ;D
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: TDS developed with gamepad in mind? No kidding!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 09:15:10 AM »
But sometimes nothing beats taking it easy sitting in your skivvies and blasting baddies in your La-Z-Boy!  ;D

AHHHH!!! My eyes -- they burn!!! Pictures ... unnecessary....

:smoking:

everything