Author Topic: The Silver Sorrow Review Thread  (Read 5907 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
The Silver Sorrow Review Thread
« on: August 23, 2007, 10:44:23 AM »
The Overlord review is up, to your great dismay. Read it here. Or not. Your choice, I suppose.

Remember to comment and bump this thread constantly so as to keep it above Doc's at all times, even though he posts more reviews than I do.  :evil1:

Just kidding. Probably.

Almost forgot! Here's some incentive:

« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 11:37:57 AM by Starfox »
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Joshua-kun

Re: The Silver Sorrow Review Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 01:06:15 PM »
Six Flags Over Nerdopolis

Best...line...ever!

Very good read, by the way. Makes me want to go check it out; sounds like a lot of fun.  ;)

You know...this sounds an awful lot like a medevil version of Pikmin for the Nintendo Gamecube. Except that your main character didn't carry a huge-arse sword and wore a space suit.

Oh, by the way, the ESRB line was repeated at the top.
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 03:53:17 PM »
Ah, good to have you back, Silver.   :onethumb:

Though, if I may make a suggestion? 

<!--pagebreak--> is your friend, man.  It'll help break up your reviews some, though I'm sure you'll find other, more creative uses for it...
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 06:52:55 PM »
;D

Thankya, thankya all.

Fixed the ESRB thing; how that slipped by me is a complete myst--oh, right: I was agonizing over the section header font sizes. Is "large" big enough, or should I go with "huge"? Choices, choices...

JK - Believe me, "Nerdopolis" was the *kindest* thing I said about the Ren-Fests in the first draft.  :)  But revision followed: one would have gotten the impression that I hate the concept, but that's not true...I merely chuckle at it. :lol:  (The local fest is called "The Medieval Fair" and can be a lot of fun, if you like that sort of thing. What was most enjoyable about it was back in high school when some of the kids would show up -- at school, mind you -- wearing chainmail.)

Anyway, by all means try it out (I'll loan it to you, if you like; I've played it twice already and that's enough for now). I've heard that it's reminiscent of other games like you mentioned, but I haven't played any of them.

Doc - Thanks for the suggestion! Those screens aren't laying like they should, so I'll need to beat them into submission. I'm a little swamped for time at the moment (Bioshock calls!), so I'll rework the thing when I can.

While I'm on the subject of overwhelming things, the Jade Empire review will probably need to be broken up into several pages. I'm not happy with it, but I'm tired of endlessly revising it (months! months!). Right now I'm just adding in the tags and saying the hell with it, just post it as is. Screenshots...argh, the screenshots... :throwup:
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Joshua-kun

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 07:16:16 AM »
Heck yeah, I'd love to give it a try!   ;D

Not sure what I can offer in return, though.  I'll have to check my "collection" this weekend.
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 10:25:07 AM »
Oh, I think you may like it. Me? I made enemies of the elves. It just seemed natural, somehow.  :evil1:

The reason I update: I finally edited the review a little -- I took out the Roselyn Sanchez banana reference, which took the joke in a direction I didn't like ("tantric mouse yoga" is funny enough without having to make it dirty) -- and...that's about it. I messed around with the screenshot formatting, but it never came out right. So I left it alone. I also posted the good news on the main page, so I should get, like, a zillion hits now.  ;)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 12:14:04 PM »
[drumroll]

The Lord Ashton Series Review!

[pathetic cymbal crash]

For Thief 2.

[scattered curses from the audience]

It's revised and stuff. Reads much better now.

[dead silence]

Whatever. Read it, or something.

Anyway, I'm also working on revising the sequel, The Night Falcon, as well as finishing up a new review -- stunned surprise -- for The Seven Sisters. I just have to play through them all again, just to make sure everything is 100% inaccurate, to completely eliminate any chance -- no matter how slim -- that an actual fact might slip through the cracks. What else? Oh, I'm also revising my review of VTMBloodlines. I'm mostly done with that; the only thing that remains is determining screenshot placement (obscuring the text with many distracting screens is important; write that down, kids) and cutting out some of the cutesy crap that I think is SO hilarious at 3am, but turns out to be either 1) extremely unfunny, 2) extraordinarly offensive to carbon-based lifeforms regardless of color, creed, or orientation, or 3) both.

Work continues. Say, you handled that drumroll pretty well. Related to Bill Bruford, by any chance?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 11:38:51 AM by Starfox »

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 01:46:20 PM »
Wow... I'm always amazed when witnessing a woman's power at work... I guess I should send a full bag of kisses to someone for that...  (excuse me, no one is supposed to get that except Silver  :lol: )

Anyway, glad to see some good ol' Silver branded insanity stuffed reviews back! As for being inaccurate, don't worry... I know you, you're not the factual kind of guy.

Now if you'll excuse me... I need to check if a certain someone has some free time in the coming weeks... I need her to work on a new project  :evil1:

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 08:14:14 PM »
She'll probably appreciate it...as long as it's from you and not from me.  ;D

Facts? Who needs 'em, I say! A total disregard of facts is what made this country (the USA) great! Or something! We're definitely something...

Anything to get me posting reviews, eh?  :lol:

Fun (Or Not) Review Anecdote
In one of the Lord Ashton mission reviews, I mentioned a place in my hometown called "Oriental Tokyo Health Massage". Shortly after posting the original review on the Hangar, I got an e-mail from someone who was from the same town AND they remembered the place. That was...disconcerting.  :-\

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 09:29:27 PM »
The Jade Empire Special Edition review is up. You can read it right here.

Two years of procrastination. For that. ::)  Well, I suppose I'd better get on those screenies for The Seven Sisters. :P

Re JESE screens: If a certain all-knowing Fox from a Star or Stars is wondering -- you know who you are -- I went with smaller screens instead of using the Foxhole Viewer you so helpfully showed me how to use. Why? Because I'm an IDIOT.  :ok:

Offline bobdog

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 10:40:04 AM »
Well, hot damn and call me crazy! [Crazy!] Silver's back in a big way with a bustin' at the seams review on Jade Empire. I liked! It had all the appropriate moments: the glamour, the glitz, the xenophobic slurs, the consternation -- all good stuff.

Mucho kudos!  :onethumb:

Offline Joshua-kun

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 11:32:06 AM »
Hey Silver, I assume you were referring to Mike Nelson's "Mind over Matters" in your review?
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 08:37:48 PM »
That's the one.  :ok:

I should really dig out my copy of Death Rat...

Bobbo - Muchas gracias.  :vacation:

Now. On to grabbing some Seven Sisters screens. Once that's done, I can focus on avoiding writing *new* reviews.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 01:24:26 PM »
I forgot to update my thread. I begged my neighbor's daughter to punish me, but she ran screaming to her mom. Well, she LOOKED 18, y'know? So now I have to have this embarrassing little sign on my front lawn. But I have a Sharpie, and I think with a little effort I can change "OFFENDER" to "PROVIDER"...

Well, anyway.

Mirror's Edge (aka, Ker-Splat!: The Game) right here. Six pages leading up to this:

...and featuring a bonus YouTube guide to looking like Faith through the power of cheese makeup. I don't know how this would be useful -- except for impressing the other Cosplay losers hanging around the IOOF lodge where the con's being held this year -- but I think it would make an excellent first impression for your interview at the Dollar Store. It's bound to leave a definite impression when you wall-run over to the cleaning supplies, do an L-jump off a wall, disarm a woman holding a mop, and beat her senseless with it.

everything