Author Topic: If You Like Thief With The Doom 3 Engine...  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
If You Like Thief With The Doom 3 Engine...
« on: January 20, 2008, 10:17:23 PM »
Gotcha. The alpha tech demo of The Dark Mod is now available.

What's *that*, you ask?

The Dark Mod is an alternative to the aggravation of playing TDS FMs; a total conversion, if you will, of the Doom 3 engine that is supposed to be so much better than that clunky, awkward mess that was passed off as Thief 3 (exception to the overall mediocrity: the Cradle). The purpose of TDM? To play modern-engine FMs in the Thief games' setting, but without the tedious burden of needing TDS to do so. You do need Doom 3, which is only fair. This is NOT a remake of TDS, let me make that clear. Nor can you play existing TDS-oriented FMs in this new thingy. The idea is to get people using a friendlier engine and editor -- and, let's be honest, a better-looking engine -- to make FMs for the Thief universe.

All clear? Yeah, I didn't think so. I probably didn't even get it right. I wouldn't be surprised, knowing me. Sorry, people...I'm a product of the American educational system and a complete dumbass on top of it.  :P

But the link to the announcement is right here, so hopefully you can figure out what all the fuss is about, despite my so-called "help." You might also want to read through Thief's Den - Dark Wiki for more detailed information.

What you need is a full install of Doom 3 (patched), and...well, TDM itself, of course. Enjoy, you little moppets.

On a side note, someone was complaining in another thread that one of the ghosters' favorite bugs exploits in T1/T2, the "nudge" exploit, wasn't available in TDS, nor is it available in TDM. I thought New Horizon's comment made sense:

As we've said in previous posts, our goal is to recapture the atmosphere and core gameplay of the original games...but we can't be expected to clone it bug for bug.  That would be painfully counter productive.

;D
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: If You Like Thief With The Doom 3 Engine...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 06:51:17 AM »
Well, I'd say it's the kind of thing that deserves a full news  :lol: I'll make one once I've played through the demo mission... It's really the only reason why I kept Doom 3 installed  :purplelaugh:

UPDATE

Quote from: From TDM doc
Using the blackjack to KO needs skill and is still work in progress. Aim HIGH and focus on the head.

You bet. After 9 years of KO'ing just about anything in Thief (well except undead and haunts obviously but including burricks) I made 12 attempts in different styles to KO the first guard encountered in TDM... all unsuccessful. The guy didn't even said "ouch!" once before starting to attack me. This definitely needs work. But hey that's why you call it "Alpha" and not "Beta".

ANOTHER UPDATE

Quite an outstanding job they did there. Beyond the remaining bugs and on going development state, of course. Modding Doom 3 into a stealth game is an overwhelming task but they accomplished it successfully -- at least they are on the right track to bring us something solid when they'll achieve the beta stage. Well, the blackjack is working when it wants of course, the moss patches may occasionally block the way if you shoot a moss arrow in some places, there are problem with audio sources (ambient) but all of this is normal in alpha stage -- I already played alpha games (and even final releases) much less playable than that.

Only point... They completely integrated the minimalist HUD concept from Thief 1 and 2 and that's good. However, I would have hoped for an inventory a bit more friendly this time. It's a common fact that inventory in T1/2 is a real pain in the ass at times. So I think I would have preferred something like the ability to display the whole content of my bag and to choose with the mouse which item/key I want to use... But I'm picky  :lol:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 02:35:09 PM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

everything